Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Factory Floor Mat

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2015, 11:20 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Factory Floor Mat

Hi again,

One of the reasons I've done so much in my van was that I wanted to be able to hose out the interior without fear of trapping water and rotting the body. The Rear Floor Mat was still holding water in the insulation a week after hosing out the inside of the van during a heat wave. I couldn't believe the heat in a black van didn't chase that moisture out.

I pulled out both Factory Floor Mats and I stored them aside. They were moved a few times and little did I realize, this rubber seems to have a memory. There are folds and creases I can't get out. Some of those creases are from placing heavy objects inside the van while the floor was in. But long story short, the creases seem to be there to stay. It's as if the Rubber stretched.

I've pulled off the insulation (I don't want it). Does anyone have any tips on how make the rubber like new (flat) again? If I can get it flat, I will put it back in, glueing it to my plywood subfloor. If not, I am going to use BlueSkin since I have it, but I'd rather not. It's expensive, it smells and it probably is no good for a flooring material. Even, though in this case I plan on placing several rubber mats on top, seeing I won't find a suitable size for cheap. I'd rather use the factory rubber as it's one piece which means water proofing and floor surface all in one.

I need some tips. Too bad I don't have access to a super heavy roller and a flat surface...

Last edited by dberladyn; September 1st, 2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 3:40 PM
CF Pro Member

This is the Mat. I can't get those wrinkles out and yes, it matters to me. The type of Rubber used seems to have a memory. Once stretched, that's it. It's for sale, I can't use it. I could try slowly gluing it starting at one end, but it's not worth the risk to me. I want a floor that's flat. Locally here there's a Rubber Manufacturer that claims to be the worlds largest or something rather... I know they have what I want. I'll be seeing them tomorrow.

PS> What a pain going to the Dealership for Oil and Service. I hate appointments, they are stopping my progress on working on the van. Why can't they run it like a Minute Lube? People would ACTUALLY want to go there. Instead I have to wait. I should really put as much back togther to avoid all the drama and questions that I feel will be asked. Maybe I am wrong, but I suspect they want customers to do nothing with their vehicles but drive them. That's not me, especially with a work van.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 6:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat gun?
Old September 2nd, 2015, 8:19 PM
CF Pro Member

That might work, it's the one tool I never bought but always meant to. I'm just going to scrap it. I don't have I have to start moving forward rather quickly and for some reason inside me I am just dreading going to the dealership tomorrow. It just feels like... buying a home and then having the Real Estate Agent coming in for routine checkups every so many months. Maybe I am right out to lunch on it all, but that's how it feels to me. I'm not even sure all the aggravation is worth the "free" fluid change.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 3:37 PM
CF Pro Member

I'm bored here at the dealership. I don't know why I was concerned with them seeing the mods. They are all good people here. It's the programing a radio for me that's taking so long. I should have brought a vin in for him to get the right information from. I bought a second radio that I'll strip and repackage for less bulk. I want it for chimes and onstar. At least that's the plan. I'll run an aftermarket separate from this one in its place. No cheesy aftermarket chime module and I keep the factory for reinstall at any time.

Bored... I took this thread off topic... If any wants the Mat, it's for sale or scrap.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 4:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would put that mat on ebay with no reserve.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 5:45 PM
CF Pro Member

Good call, thank you. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I need to start recouping money. I've spent a lot. They weren't shy on charging me for the radio programming. Not exactly the techs fault though, I meant to come in there with a Vin and clear instructions. I have what want now, but I may have to loose my factory Xm. The new radio doesn't allow me to select xm stations. Maybe I bought one that was too old? 2008. My main intent is to install it parallel to an after market deck. This way I keep Onstar and Factory chimes. I was hoping to keep a factory deck in its original location, but that option is out I think. I might have to dismantle it and just use it for its pc board. That's the reason for buying it. Keep the original one original.

We'll see what I do with that later. There's more important things, like getting that cargo area complete enough for me to return to work. I've been off work and I'm stalling on going back so it "finish" the van.

Meanwhile, does anyone want this mat before it gets listed on EBay?

I also have cargo liners that are molded for these vans. The complete package, screws, wall, headliners and all. I don't want to ship that though. Too big.

Last edited by dberladyn; September 3rd, 2015 at 5:49 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 8:09 PM
CF Pro Member

Oops, xm works just fine. I obviously never really use the far right ****.

Mat is still available. I will post a link here when it goes to eBay.
Old September 9th, 2015, 6:51 PM
CF Pro Member

This mat went from my 2014, into another local 2014. I thought that was interesting enough to share. Anyways it's gone now if anyone wanted it.