Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Factory Look Head Units

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2018, 9:29 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Factory Look Head Units

My Factory Head Unit

I like this radio so much that I do not really want to take it out.
  • It well designed.
  • It looks nice.
  • Operates nice.
  • It matches and compliments the interior very well.
  • That volume **** is PERFECT.
  • Everything factory works as it should.

ROSEN 1210

I actually bought this radio when I bought my truck. I drooled over the factory nav units like the fool GM intended me to be with it's $1200-1800 price tag. I ended up buying and installing this instead. Some American invested a lot of time having it specially made while and before the Chinese where beginning to crank out their cheap Android units. I sent it back returning it.
  • It was made with love and good intent
  • Factory lighting did not match the radio lighting
  • Factory Chimes were gone and replaced with terrible wimpy sounding audio
  • It plugged right in without a single thought and just worked
  • It was slow
  • It wasn't very appealing software wise

My first Android radio
  • It was like magic, it felt cool to have two / three years ago
  • The sound was wimpy and I missed the factory radio (needs amps)
  • The ***** are and feel CHEAP. I missed my BIG factory dial.
  • It was absolutely fantastic for certain things, like tracking my fuel and expenses with very high accuracy
  • OBDII and Torgue was cool, but over rated
  • Factory Lighting Matches perfectly.
  • Install is somewhat more consuming, wiring, etc.
  • I ended up going without Chimes. The Chinese Chimes are TERRIBLE.
  • It was slow to start up and not instant like the factory.
  • I eventually removed it to have a fully functional system last year. I just didn't have the time and the place to install the way I wanted to.
I meant to sell it, but I broke the screen the other night. I wanted to take it completely apart and clean the corrosion on it. It was exposed to moisture for quite sometime but I was in a careless state of mind and I was too rough with it when pulling the LCD glass out. I cracked the touchscreen component. I will still sell it if someone wants, but it'll come without a screen. I'll use what is left of the screen for replacing my rearview mirror with a display.

Factory Radio number 2

I bought this one and I had it programmed to my VIN. It's different than my other factory radio, it has a DVD player and two more connectors on the back for hooking up to a complex sound system with screens and multiple control points. The green in the lights doesn't match the green in the lights for my year of truck. It's an older radio. I ended up dismantling it and learning that I can throw everything away just keeping the main circuit board to retain the factory Chimes, Onstar, Etc. That is what it has been earmarked for. It will simply be my Chimes module hooked either into my sound system or it's own speaker. It doesn't really matter, I can do either with the parts I have on hand.

My Second Android Radio
  • One inch larger screen
  • Twice the cores (8)
  • More Memory
  • Better Operating System
  • All Screen with no cheap dials
This is what I am going to install in place of my factory radio. I will miss the factory dial and the exact matching faceplate lights, the tactile buttons, but I will gain access to internet radio, youtube, google maps, torque, digital tv, front camera recorder, rear camera, and on and on and on... I am not sold on these android units unless I can customize the standard software, but they are pretty damn good now. This unit will be fast, it will simplify my wiring as I lose a component and it gives me a nice screen to build my pc with afterwords if I choose to. There's reasons I want to do that, but I am hoping I will not.

Last edited by dberladyn; November 22nd, 2018 at 9:49 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2018, 8:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It has a TV tuner built in?
Old November 23rd, 2018, 10:28 AM
CF Pro Member

No, I bought a digital tv tuner with the first Android unit. It's not something I will use, but I will install it anyways for that one day when I am sitting around bored. Digitial Radio Tuners are available as well, I only didn't buy one because for whatever reason the seller was going to ship it separate.
Old August 11th, 2019, 3:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used Autopumpkin units twice now. The first one integrated into my van's CAN bus, the new one does not. I like them fine enough, but I do wish they were faster. Have you found any Android head units that seems to be well built and are fast?
Old August 11th, 2019, 4:24 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the unit I've transferred through multiple cars. Wife has the same in her ride.

Just personal preference to keep the analog controls that don't need to be looked at to manipulate. Those touch screens do look slick though.
Old August 11th, 2019, 9:37 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Exit236
I've used Autopumpkin units twice now. The first one integrated into my van's CAN bus, the new one does not. I like them fine enough, but I do wish they were faster. Have you found any Android head units that seems to be well built and are fast?
It's not really the brand name, or even the design of the faceplate, it's the board. The first one I had had was not bad, but it wasn't great. It was kind of like as you say by memory. This latest one was plenty fast enough. It's a PX5. I want to sell these two boards, I just haven't got around to it. I was going to sell it as I bought it but I have not yet decided whether to keep and use the faceplate screen or not. I need to run windows for a few things I am adding. They require windows and there's no work around. If you want to buy new boards, you can buy my boards and put them in your radios if you want.
Old August 12th, 2019, 7:25 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Factory head units normally have the best R&D. The head unit in my 2008.5 Jeep Grand Cherokee is fantastic...better than many modern units. I would be interested in knowing what the newest double DIN factory radio is that can be put in a 2004. With the Jeeps there becomes issues with canbus speeds, etc. so you need to know what you are doing. I don't know anything about Chevrolet's other than they have some door chime contraption tied into the radio.

The van has a 7" Android 4.4.4 touch screen. I put this in at the request of my parents so it is a few years old (I just got the van from them recently). They wanted a real volume ****, input for satellite radio, and a DVD player. This one is a little sluggish from time to time but generally good. Newer units have more cores and are higher resolution than 800x600. Try to find a radio that will take an external Wifi antenna so that you can mount it on the roof. I think this one has a soldered on antenna so I need to look into having a connector installed.

Old August 12th, 2019, 7:31 PM
CF Pro Member

You could probably buy one of my boards and pop it in there, upgrading the radio.