Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Fuel Filter Location

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2017, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Location

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on the location of the fuel filter on a 2004 Chevy Express 1500 (5.3L) and if the location of the filter is different between the 1500, 2500 and 3500.

I am chasing a recent stalling issue. No CEL. Recently replaced the Throttle Position Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, Crank Position Sensor, Coolant Temp Sensor, new plugs and wires. And I still have the same stalling issue.

The van idles just fine but as soon as I put it in drive, it stalls.

My only other thought is it must be a fueling issue.

Thank you.

Old October 9th, 2017, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on my 2002 it was on the frame rail, drivers side in front of the gas tank. There are 2 types. Threaded nut connectors, and those push and pop type connectors. have a look to see before ordering the part.
a clogged filter causes a flow issue. You will still have pressure, but less volume, so giving more gas pedal will cause lag, and bucking of the engine. Not stalling when putting into drive.
Could it be the ignition switch or a steeling column issue? Are you sure its fuel not spark.
Old October 9th, 2017, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm thinking the fuel pump in the tank. When it quits, it won't even start. But if it is passing a little gas, it could be what is causing your issue.