Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   Fuel Pump Issues 2001- 2500 Express Van (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/fuel-pump-issues-2001-2500-express-van-43130/)

lostinthewoods June 12th, 2011 10:24 PM

Fuel Pump Issues 2001- 2500 Express Van

Hello all. I have lurked here from time to time in the hopes of coming across someone else who may have had this same problem.

I have a 2001 2500 Express van that has an affinity for eating fuel pumps. I have had the fuel pump replaced 4 times in not as many years. The current pump has about 1000-1500 miles on it and it is begining to act up again. The pumps have all been put in by a great mechanic and I beleive the pumps have all been OEM pumps (delphi?)

The failure of each has been the same MO. The van will just stall out and not start again. Ususally after the van sits for a while it will start again and then the whole thing starts over again. When the last pump started acting up I did have the clarity of mind to rent the fule system kit from Auto Zone. When the van was running fine the pump would hold pressure just fine, the pressure would begin to fall and once it reached a certain point (I don't recall the pressure as it has been a while ago) the van would stall out.

So here is my question. What would you all recommend? The pumps are now fed via a hot line direct from the battery so there should be no issue with the power to the pump. I have tried replaceing the relay for the pump also but nothing changes.

My thoughts are to try a different pump manfacturer this next time and see if I have any different results. Any thoughts?

I'm just grasping at straws and really don't know what to try at this point.

Thanks again,
lost

lc6888 June 15th, 2011 7:59 PM

My 2000 does this too... I use my van in my company and when it was newer it was a full time work van and the pump would go out about every year, usually leaving me stranded. I'm using the van as a back up now and my fuel pump seems to be lasting a little longer (have an 07 GMC Savana 3500 Duramax diesel van now as the full time runner, no problems at all the first 100K!, fingers crossed for the next 100). My usual signs that the fuel pump is going is when my fuel gauge starts acting funny. I've been told that if the fuel level is run low a lot it will cause the pump to go out faster as the fuel in the tank cools the pump so no fuel will cause higher heat and a quicker end to the pump. The last time I replaced the pump I redid all the wires from the pump to the engine computer along with all new plugs at the pump. I know you said your pump runs direct off the battery so that should be good. Maybe try a different brand, I'm running the Carter brand fuel pump now (since its a backup I've been putting in aftermarket parts) but I see no difference in performance and my van runs fine (knock on wood).

LC

RiTae May 7th, 2014 1:06 PM

I have a 2001 express High Top van and i had the same issue, i went through 4 pumps in 3 years. The last pump i installed has been holding out for 3 years so far. I took apart one of the pumps and the plastic gears in side were destroyed. I was wondering if it might have been the fuel that I was using (BP high grade) so I change to Mobil regular. The only issue I have so far is my fuel gauge is not working all the time, so I am looking into that.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Let me know your thoughts…<o:p></o:p>

canucklehead May 8th, 2014 12:19 AM

I have a 2002 express 2500 and my pump went a few years ago. Replaced it and its been fine since. I would contact gm direct and ask them for some insight. Maybe the fuel you are using, maybe there is a bad batch where you are getting parts from.....