Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G-30 Beauville front ride height

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2018, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question G-30 Beauville front ride height

I recently purchased a 1992 G-30 Beauville Extended van that has low miles but needs a little front suspension work. To me, it looks like it is low in the front, especially considering those vans always had a "tail high" appearance. I am possibly interested in installing new front springs when I replace the bushings, but I can't find any specs on the original ride height. Also, the parts manual has four different part numbers for springs with four different spring rates.

I remember seeing a method of checking the ride height in a manual, but I can't remember where and I can't find it now.

Does anyone know where I can find the ride height spec?
Old February 4th, 2018, 8:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know about measuring the height, but the 4 different springs may be because there were 4 different engines in that year/model. Maybe the PO didn't know this when he or she may have changed them Hard to say on a van that old. I'd suggest considering ride vs height, although height(or the lack thereof) may be an indicator that they're ready for replacing.

So ThroatwarblerMangrove(or should I call you Raymond?), what are you gonna do with your van? A few of us here are in to the conversion thing, and we'd be interested in what you may have planned.
Old February 4th, 2018, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Raymond is fine.

It's in very good condition, as far as the body and rust; just a couple of small dents and a poor Bondo repair in the L rear quarter panel under the window. It spent most of its life as a church van in AL until it moved to the WNC mountains where it apparently was mostly used in the summers.

I'm slowly whipping the interior into shape. I bought bulk carpet for the rear and I'm investigating a source for the formed front carpet. I've scrubbed about 1/3 of the interior side panels, replaced the swing-out windows with privacy glass, purchased privacy glass for the rear 1/4 windows (I haven't installed them yet; it's too cold), replaced the painted outside manual mirrors with stainless remote control mirrors (installing RKE at the same time), replaced the front speakers, bought speakers for the rear (again, too cold to install right now).

I wanted a van big enough to tow my enclosed utility trailer and to occasionally carry motorcycles. I had been looking for a low mileage 1993-96 Beauville for several years. When I found this 1992 I figured I''d better get it; the owner had bought it for the engine and transmission.
Old February 4th, 2018, 2:02 PM
CF Veteran

Formed carpet is nice, but I'm not sure where you can get that for an older van like that. My last van was an '00 Astro cargo van. In the first few days I had it, the work interior came out, including the wall to wall rubber mat. I was able to get flat carpet to form in fairly well. In the back, I laid it on a sheet of Masonite to get rid of the corrugated floor.

We'll be interested in hearing of your progress.
Old February 4th, 2018, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

A few pictures I've taken along the way:

As purchased

As purchased

Before elbow grease

After elbow grease
Old February 4th, 2018, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

That door panel looks new. Can't wait to see the rest of your work.
Old February 4th, 2018, 11:17 PM
CF Beginner

A few more pictures:

with standard tinted glass
with privacy tinted glass

original front seats
replacement front seat, reclining with armrests

Last edited by ThroatwarblerMangrove; February 4th, 2018 at 11:20 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old February 5th, 2018, 9:54 AM
CF Veteran

Wow. Did you get a passenger side seat as well?
Old February 5th, 2018, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah.

I took the picture between installing the DS seat and the PS seat. As I remember it, I did the DS seat one day, the PS the next.
Old February 5th, 2018, 1:25 PM
CF Veteran

Good. We wouldn't want your passengers feeling like second class citizens. Where are you? Any chance of a picture showing the ride height issue?