Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G-Series 350 to Straight 6 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2012, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-Series 350 to Straight 6 Engine Swap

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a G series van. I've heard that the straight 6 engines are a lot better on gas. It seems that there are very few of them out there though.

I'm thinking about buying a G series with a 350 in it and putting a straight 6 with a stick shift in it. This brings up a number of issues:

1. Will a straight 6 use the same transmission as a 350?

2. Will an automatic transmission swap with a stick transmission?

3. What about all the associated linkages? Has anyone ever figured out the associated linkages necessary for the all the combinations of vans and engines? Is there someplace I can buy all the associated linkages and expect them to work?

4. The computer. I've heard they can be different from one engine to another. So the computer that comes with the 350 probably may not fit or work with the computer on the 6. And the wiring that is built into the van chassis may not hook up to or work with the computer on the straight 6 engine.

5. All the wiring in general. Any components or sensors on the new straight 6 engine may not hook up to the wiring harness on the chassis. Is there some way to
deal with these issues?

6. The starters probably won't interchange.

7. All the other things that bolt onto the engine (alternator, power steering pump, air conditioning, etc...) probably won't interchange either.

8. Will the new straight 6 engine and all the things bolted onto it interfere with the engine compartment of the chassis?

9. Is there some kind of van swap engine guru that one can go to to get answers
to these kinds of questions?

By the way, does anyone know what kind of mileage you can expect to get from an inline 6? And does anyone know what you can expect to get from a diesel?

Last edited by unckybob; March 5th, 2012 at 9:53 PM.