Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G20 van wheel change

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2018, 6:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

No hostility whatsoever. Just statement of fact. My report simply says the question needs to be moved to its own topic. I do this because it will HELP to get the member the response he needs.

If you go to the doctor to get help with something, then you are expected to follow their procedures. This is very simple and well understood.

Now can we stop derailing?
Old March 12th, 2018, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stan, Thanks and you're right. I am not real good on a computer and this particular forum has been challenging to me. So I will go away permanently, if I offended anyone or broke the rules, SORRY. I'll disconnect and find my wheel/brake solution elsewhere.
Old March 12th, 2018, 5:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

It's very easy ... just hit the big "New thread" button, that's all. No drama, no offense. I'm happy to have you here, and help out. In fact, allow me ....
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...ibration-89447
Old March 12th, 2018, 8:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't do that. Someone with more tact could have the answer. I'm still interested in whether the noise is coming from the front or rear of the van.
Old March 12th, 2018, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by calook1967
Hello All Again. Updating my whoas with my G20 Van.
If you have ever driven a G-20 van you will understand the Squishy brakes when attempting a near panic stop. I decided to resolve this issue. I bought Wilwood calipers for the front. I also stepped up to drilled and slotted rotors, new ceramic pads, new shoes in rear and NTB was gracious enough to completely ruin one rear drum when I paid them to "clean them up" by turning the thick original drums. SO I bought a new pair of drums also. Now what I am experiencing is once you're on the road awhile and everything is all warmed up, when i apply the brakes they make this HORRIBLE thunderous vibration. Its not a typical brake squeal. It is a loud grinding growling sound with a feel like something is seriously out of round. I noticed the new calipers were rubbing slightly on the inside of my aluminum wheels so I fixed that by clearancing both with a scotchbrite disc. Now I contacted Wilwood tech support and they told me I had to temper the pads to the rotors by warming them up by driving normally, then at 35 mph apply firm pressure to the brake pedal. Doing this 3-5 times until I smelled hot pads. then to cool them down normally. I did what they suggested and I still have that growling demon somewhere. Any ideas? I'm just wondering if I have a bad drum or rotor new out of the box? Oh and all the front bearings were replaced at the same time with the best quality I could buy.
Are the new drums rubbing the backing plate?
Clearanceing with a scotch brite pad does not sound like enough clearance...lol. You need a good space to allow for expansion of metals and so on.
You should not have to break in ceramic pads. They fade faster and wear different to semi metalic pads.