Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

GM Shop Manuals

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2015, 12:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GM Shop Manuals

When I bought my first brand new vehicle I wanted to by the GM Shop Manuals to go with it, but I never did. I am tempted to buy the GM Shop Manual for my 2014 Savana, I have located a set which is one year off. I'm not convinced there will be a difference, but I may write and find out if I can't get them for the 2014 model year.

Anyways, at the same time, I really don't need to spend money on this van. I want to, but the payments are more than enough. In many ways I wish I bought older like many of you, or I bought something fuel efficient. But I do really like this van...

If I buy a set of shop manuals, I don't really expect to have them to be working on major repairs myself. I want them for the occasional repair problem, customization of the interior, the electrical schematics and understanding building blocks of the vehicle I have. Are shop manuals "readable" to untrained mechanics? I want the core details, the basic nuts and bolts of the vehicle. The blue prints so to speak. I assume this is what I get with a set of Shop Manuals, is that right? The blue prints plus the exact steps needed to replace the brake shoes, thermostat, gauge cluster, etc. Right?

Is it worth $400 or would it just be a waste. I shouldn't do it, but I would like to.
Old June 5th, 2015, 8:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is a Haynes for 25 bucks not enough?
Old June 5th, 2015, 11:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know, maybe it is. But their manuals are old so I'd have to assume GM made no changes up to my year. The GM Shop Manuals are five telephone book sized books... I don't think I'll them, I just think about it now and again.
Old June 6th, 2015, 6:37 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the factory service manuals for my Jeep and there is absolutely NO comparison between the factory manuals and Haynes or Chiltons. I keep the Haynes/Chiltons type for carrying in a vehicle or for leveling a couch. Once you've had to do a repair that is more complicated than Hayne's infamous quote: "Assembly is in reverse order of disassembly." you'll appreciate them. The FSM's have EVERYTHING. Would I pay $400 for the full set? Hell no! The newness factor will work against ya but you should be able to get them for half that in print and under $50 on CD-Rom.

I have found MANY service manuals on Amazon from a seller called BISHKO. I searched but didn't find yours directly but that doesn't mean they don't carry it.

Here's a link to them on Amazon; get in touch with them and ask because in addition to printed copies they sell the .pdf versions for $36 or so... and you can often (at least with older vehicles) find used copies for sale there as well from private sellers: BISHKO AUTOMOTIVE LITERATURE - Factory service manuals, owner's manuals, etc...

Don't forget evilBay, too!
<script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script><script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script><script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script><script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script><script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script>

Last edited by lunghd; June 6th, 2015 at 6:44 AM.