Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Headliner in a 2004 express 2500 van

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2015, 8:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headliner in a 2004 express 2500 van

Hi, I have a 2004 express 2500 van, and am wanting to put a back up monitor in it, that is approx. 7 to 8 inches wide. I have no room really to put it and noticed in my van headliner there is a drop down area overhead right in the middle of the ceiling just perfect for a monitor. It looks like it may be a place that one may be designed for in other models. Before I attempt to cut it out and install a monitor, I would like to know what is behind it. Can anyone give me a little more info on this? I tried to google it, but obviously research don't go that deep on the internet. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old December 26th, 2015, 12:49 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes there is room there, but not as much as you may think. I should have took pictures of mine when it was out. I was going to do the same as you, but then the angle is not preferable for a rearview monitor in my opinion. You're better off to hang one below mounting it similar to a regular rearview mirror. Well, the mounting doesn't matter, the positioning does. You want to be able to angle and you want a quick scan with your eyes.
Old January 5th, 2016, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i mounted a 7" monitor in that very spot. i used the swivel mount the monitor came with. i took down the headliner and installed a flat piece of thick metal bracketry (simpson strong tie) behind the headliner for the mount to screw into. its almost as wide as that spot as is the mount plate so it has a large surface area to clamp tight. its been up there for over 2 years and is solid. the monitor was a cheapo and im surprised at how well the swivel has remained tight. but using that piece of metal behind the headliner made all the difference in keeping the entire assembly solid. no cutting other than the holes the screws made. ran the power and video feed wires behind there too. i have it as a live feed rather than just backup camera.

ill post a pic later today.