Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

help me choose my new express

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2019, 3:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help me choose my new express

Van being sold as roller not this pictured but my 02 express.

I was already for the 5.3 engine swap then decided to much work for me at the current time so selling as roller.

You Guy’s know the express conversion has been sidelined for a while now I’m liking & hating the new tow vehicle the saab97x really like AWD this should be standard on all cars/trucks.

So I’m looking for I told myself a new express less than 10 years old I'm a little sticker stocked at hi-top conversion prices even for rollers.

The I guy near Atlanta w/ a 02 express HT blown trans asking 3K for some skilled person who would want to install a trans would comeout good. this is just a example of many of the same pricing

What I a not surprised that the HT vans value is apparently increasing due to more people living in vans.

I would like some advice on my new van you guy’s help choose my options. I like

AWD and 6.0 litre this is what I love about HT vans they are already loaded inside I guess I start w/ this 04 2500 series

Is that a AC compress on the roof? If yes doe’s it run off second house batter or propane if that possible.

I’ve sean the roadtech20’ vans they have a AC & I believe a generator built into the rear roof.

Really like the extra doors on driver side & rear sunroof idea (I've be in the back of many vans however never sean the rear SR don't like the regular GM passenger side windows but can live w/ it if they open.

The buyer of my roller the man drove over 3 hours to look at the roller and made a handshake deal I sure he’s serious I hope he doe’s. so now the lookout begins for the new van.

Last edited by the Brain; February 22nd, 2019 at 3:47 PM.
Old February 24th, 2019, 5:29 AM
CF Active Member

there is another option if it's possible obtain a cargo thats in excellent shape and transplant the hi-top, windows and furiture from my 02 conversion,
I think the 02 model express is the same body as the 012 pictured so the top roof is interchangeable. am I correct?
heres the road tech 170 This is my preffed van

Last edited by the Brain; February 24th, 2019 at 6:26 AM.
Old February 24th, 2019, 9:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Seems to me swapping a motor would be easier.
Old February 25th, 2019, 5:44 AM
CF Active Member

i thought the roadtech a generator built into the rear roof, apparently it's just the AC which is a much trickier/ nicer install because I was eventually plan solar panels on roof. this facilitates the solar install having the AC built inside roof rather than just sticking out up though the roof this is the difference in entering or not entering a downtown parking garage I think this height is ?1.7'4" is this true or false ?
I was actually planning my van to graph in a generater yamaha 1600watts continuous into the rear door under the spare tire and graph same AC compressor RT has in the high top or just fit a regular houshold type stand up AC,

I am open to another conversion but after seeing how nice the RT170 and them allready built is very convenient however these RV vans have more furniture an cabienty heavieing & smallening the inside available room I prefer the sofa in the rear dinnete just in front/ side of sofa.
small galley induction hotplate on folding shelf mounted on the side rear door, my just in case it's raining awning is a sunbella boat umbrella. .

?2.I'm not seeing to many AWD starting to think isn't a popular option? is that to save fuel? currently there aren't any decent vans to choose from very anxious to lay down in the back w/ a rear sunroof.

both the 2 previous vans where bought online stight unsean just by images they both required road trips to pickup. so if you see a 2009 or newer 2500 series conversion HT AWD 6.0 litre engine less than 50K miles on odometer. vehicle can be damaged w/ clear title.

Last edited by the Brain; February 25th, 2019 at 5:52 AM.
Old February 25th, 2019, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

AWD was discontinued. And a vehicle needs to be seen in person. I bought my '16 at 1 year of age, w/ 19k and supposedly a clean Carfux. It turns out, it was wrecked. I believed the report, and didn't check further. Never again.
Old March 1st, 2019, 5:58 AM
CF Active Member

My recent observations for the new van are as follows. Completely sticker stock even on none runnering vans.

1.dissapointed that chevy conciders a 2500series comes w/ a 1500 sized 4.8

The 2500 should have a 6.0 or 6.2 400 horse power

2.the road treks have way to much furniture and are weak tow vehicle at 5400LB 1KLB tongue weight due to this extra interior weight.

3.just noticed tire preasure on the 2500 as 50PSI front 80PSI rear.

Maybe this is why my 02 1500 express felt a little weak while towing .

I think I only had 40PSI front /45PSI rear

Camper van Concerns are as follows

1,smelly propane fumes for the stove top I think it heats water to.really what induction hotplate at 1300watts high or 600watts lower heat range.

2.orman generater noise.

3.just how much stuff can you operate off of 200amp hourslike refrigerator,

I desire a roadtech 21 popular widebody that only has overheads not full galley full closets I have in mind a minimalist weight reducing floor plan
Old March 2nd, 2019, 9:14 PM
CF Veteran

A 1500 has a lower towing capacity, and lower tire pressures than the 2500 or 3500. "Weak" is a function of engine and differential gear ratios. And I might have mentioned this before, traction. Unless you're going aftermarket 4WD, the G80 option (it's been called both a locking diff, and a limited slip diff). Whichever it is, towing without it will be tougher. Look for it on the RPO sticker on the passenger door.
Old March 3rd, 2019, 11:04 AM
CF Active Member

is the G80 option 3:73 gear ratio
Old March 3rd, 2019, 4:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

Code - Gear Ratio
---------------
GU4 - 3.08:1
GU5 - 3.23:1
GU6 - 3.42:1
GT4 - 3.73:1
GT5 - 4.10:1

Type
---------------
GQ1 - Open differential (standard)
G80 - Eaton Gov-Loc limited slip differential (optional)
Old March 4th, 2019, 6:56 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Code - Gear Ratio
---------------
GU4 - 3.08:1
GU5 - 3.23:1
GU6 - 3.42:1
GT4 - 3.73:1
GT5 - 4.10:1

Type
---------------
GQ1 - Open differential (standard)
G80 - Eaton Gov-Loc limited slip differential (optional)
excellent infor. I personally like 3.23

Here’s a van I like more than regular swing open doors.

Now I can’t decide on which is better the slider I’ve always had (until recently)

Or the double swing open leaning toward double, I can dream of double sliders.
curious if the slider opens more or less than the swingers?

I thought only the satellite Dish co. had 03+ vans w/ sliders?

This van 2006 6litre 2 Wheel drive 90K miles current price is $30K.

This van located in Los angles, is a desert cruiser w/ the tires/tow hook to proof it.

I think those folks cruise a lot on the ultility power co. roads which is like a mild off roading between LA and Vegas and vincity, this road didn’t have speed limit signs.

I used to drive from vegas to marketplace was like a 12 mile dirt road flatout beat the crape out of the rentel, my favorite jump was naturally made from water wash dam those where the good ole days.

Can you image the under carriage wear and tear cruising desert dirt roads over 100MPH

Edit:Apparently I will be obtaining a older van to avoid a 4.8 the sticker shock continues.

Last edited by the Brain; March 4th, 2019 at 7:09 AM.

Quick Reply: help me choose my new express