Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

help me choose my new express

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2019, 6:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If I remember correctly, didn't you get rid of a van because it needed a new motor?
Old March 11th, 2019, 7:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
LOL. No, it's not just frame modification.

Yes AWD is full time. 2/3 torque to rear, 1/3 to front, but when traction is lost it can bias up to 100% to whatever axle needs it. Single speed though. It has the same rear end as a 4WD.

Engine and transmission swap? No, that's not bolt-in. All these ideas sound like you want to spend more time working on it than driving it.
when I say bolt in I mean direct swappable w/ other LS engines the 010 YF7 van I really like it has a 5.3 I would prefer a 6.0 which I think is a direct swap (like all the sensors are in the same spots as the 5.3 stuff).this van probably has to many miles for serious consideration however there's not much to choose from w/ conversion vans.

Originally Posted by StanVan
If I remember correctly, didn't you get rid of a van because it needed a new motor?
yes my 02 express needed a cylinder head gasket, 02 is a hard engine to find used because it's so old,the amount of time I wasted w/ that distributor made up my mind to never have a distributor car ever period. a decent 5.7 crate for the 02 would be $2500.

w/ the LS I can mark the harmonic balancer, or I can pull HB and uncover the timing gear.

when I see a nice roller like the YF7 that van would be worth investing in a new crate engine and trans.or should I be considering all the wear/tear on other stuff besides the engine and trans?

my suspicions where correct about the add being a phone # scam or possibly it sold in first day because add is gone.
Old March 13th, 2019, 6:30 AM
CF Active Member

Here's a 07 Starcraft w/ the desirable openable conversion windows this is what a conversion van should look like not like a passenger van w/ a new roof,.that would be cool a Starcraft towing a Starcraft.

This being able to open window is very important because I intend to connect a tube an vent out hot AC air out the window.
also found out what the piece on the roof of the first image it's a tracaction Dish TV receiver/antenna.

Last edited by the Brain; March 13th, 2019 at 6:38 AM.
Old March 17th, 2019, 9:52 AM
CF Active Member

Couple interior observations of my new desired van the YF7 2010 or newer.

Really like the whole vehicle color theme (basicalley one color)

Just knowing the hoods paint isn’t the peel off GM crape also like the exterior no floor boards on the YF7.

1.there are no controls for the sunroof located near the roof or are the controls located elsewhere?

Due to water leaks I believe some sunroofs are infact designed to not open I think there referred to as moonroofs.

2.attach image of a 011 w/out NAV. Who would do this order a YF7 w/ a outdated regular radio. maybe they have a even better NAV than GMs.or possiablly he's had his window broke a few to many times and left w/ no radio also I see that the center console is lowe enought for to hop over so now I approve of the console..

3.the speakers are usually on each side of the TV apparently they have been completely covered or relocated & hopefully been upgraded.

I see a 011 van w/ AWD but no 6.0 hopefully there where made w/ the 6.0? on Ebay right now however buy it now is $30.K I was thinking of spending around 1/3 of that $. Remember it’s a tow vehicle not used much.

I may have to spend more for what I desire. sticker shock continues

TB

Last edited by the Brain; March 17th, 2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old March 17th, 2019, 2:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

If you do a bit of research, the AWD is only available with the 5.3L. A 6.0L engine would probably tear it apart.
The following users liked this post:
the Brain (July 6th, 2019)
Old March 21st, 2019, 6:19 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
If you do a bit of research, the AWD is only available with the 5.3L. A 6.0L engine would probably tear it apart.
bummer on no AWD and 6L. I'd prefer a 6L w/out AWD than a lower power 5.3 w/AWD are there any choices on transmissions? thought that 07+ models have 6 speed like the Tahoes but am reading adds that say 4 speed trans.

I knew the cargo vans came in 155" extended now I see conversions in extended.

I think the gas cap is closer aft. compared to the 135" which is the model I like.

the 4 door model gas cap is higher than the 3 door making fueling easier not having to bend over as much.

Last edited by the Brain; March 21st, 2019 at 6:22 AM.
Old May 10th, 2019, 5:19 AM
CF Active Member

here's a nice 04 however it has the famous white paint.what the heck is GM thinking about this peeling paint a 04 should still have unpeeled paint .
the rims could grow on me.but paint is deal breaker.
still prefer the 010YF7

Old May 16th, 2019, 9:04 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I went to a state auction yesterday and they had regular vans and wheelchair lift high top 3500 vans and they sold anywhere from $400 to $2500, depending on how well they ran. I could have bought a 2001 with around 85,000 on it for $500. It needed repairs to the trans lines at the cooler, and had been a CNG BiFuel with the tank for that expired and removed, but was clean and didn't have too much rust. A 2003 that was similarly low miles but needed a transmission (guy who knew the mechanic at the facility it came from was there and talked about it) was in a similar price range. Even a couple of the high tops sold for under $600. I don't think a singe one had more than 140,000 miles, most in the ~100K range.

2002 engine should interchange to 96 and with quite a few trucks. I don't know why it would be hard to find. There's tons of 96-02s to be had up here.

I've come to prefer a slider over the side doors on these vans. The slider reinforces the rocker panel area; with swing doors, when this rots, it sags, and then the lower latch won't catch. I've observed this now on a lot of these vans. This won't be a problem outside of the salt belt, but the latch itself can also go bad, it's cheap and some are made of plastic, I would carry a spare.
Old May 16th, 2019, 9:31 AM
CF Active Member

I don't want a van w/ a distributor want LS 6.0

what acution ? I'm in Alabama and rarely see hitop conversions for sale.

did you see any later models I really like the YF10 as old as 2007.TB

Last edited by the Brain; May 16th, 2019 at 9:35 AM.
Old June 4th, 2019, 5:56 AM
CF Active Member

Mitua is a internet scam I just noticed them using the same add word for word also at the time of notice they used the same image of van in the sunset which was a dead giveaway.

The image is only shown once since edited.

Anyway mitua is on the ignore list.

What really irritates me is the idiots that post fake for sale adds, they are easy to reconconize as to good to be true.

There objective is to obtain phone# that can be sold an you’r phone will be jammed up w/ for sale crape same w/ email address’s.TB

Quick Reply: help me choose my new express