Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

High Mileage Diesel vs Low Mileage Gas

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2015, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage Diesel vs Low Mileage Gas

I'm looking into buying an express and not sure which way to go. If you had to chose between a 2006 Express 3500 Diesel with 215k miles or a 2005 3500 6.0L gas with 127k, which way would you go? Both being the same price and similar condition.

The main use I will have with this van is to hold a motorcycle and gear inside. In the future, I want to get a camper to tow with the van, but no towing will be done in the near future.

I also don't plan on using the van often; maybe 5k miles a year, and long periods (3-5 months) when it will not be used at all.

I'm pretty handy but don't have any experience with diesels.

Also, I understand that the gas engines on these vans typically last up to 300k miles before they go, with normal wear; how do the diesels hold up compared to the gas engines in reliability?
Old May 11th, 2015, 6:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is almost 100k miles between these vans, so one is bout 8 years newer wear-wise than the other. I don't like the diesel, and prefer gas so my choice is clear.
How the vans were looked after is important too.
Old May 13th, 2015, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks! Any reason you don't like the diesel engine? If they were the same mileage, would you go with Diesel over Gas?
Old May 13th, 2015, 8:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

gasser hands down.
You do not want a high mileage diesel. Price out 8 injectors, turbo or and an injection pump. Probably $500 per injector.
Open the hood, look down and imagine trying to replace anything in there. If you never worked on a diesel stuffed into a pickup or g van...you will never be able to diagnose it with backyarder equipment.

Even the transit companies are switching out of diesels for their short busses; buying short bus gassers. What does that tell you.
Old May 14th, 2015, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is my beef. Gas was the mainstay for decades, then along came diesel in smaller sizes. Since diesel fuel was cheaper to buy it made sense. Also diesel trucks got better fuel economy so win win. Now with so many diesels out there the fuel is more than gas and since the auto makers started the pissing match for bragging rights on most torque etc....the economy has gone down.....Gas is cheaper, just as efficient, and easier/cheaper to maintain and repair.
I admit there are some great diesel trucks out there, but I would not shell out the extra 9 grand or whatever for the option. Gas all the way for me.
Old May 15th, 2015, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks! So I'm going to stop looking at Diesels. The two options I originally listed have gone away and I'm continuing to look. Appreciate the feedback.
Old May 16th, 2015, 5:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be a Duramax Diesel... just broken in and I wouldn't dis-consider it. Problem is the rest of the van has high mileage, so other parts would need replacing sooner than the lower mileage gasser. Your re-sale would be higher on the diesel. You mentioned towing in the future.. that diesel will tow effortlessly. Engine repair work could be pricey, but this isn't a Ford diesel we are talking about. The Duramax has been pretty solid. I would definetly have the dealer check over before purchasing... you really don't know what van would be the better purchase until each is gone over to see what is needed.
Old May 17th, 2015, 9:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by greenfire
Engine repair work could be pricey. I would definetly have the dealer check over before purchasing.

understatement

If you had to replace these:
-injectors-12.1 hours labour and $908 each...you don't want aftermarket
-injection pump- 12hrs labour and $1000 for parts
-turbo-7.6 hrs and $3600 for parts
-head gaskets-29.1 hours labour time x $130/hr

you could buy a new gas engine for the price of these repairs.

engine wise the dealer could check the fuel balance rates, listen for noises and look for leaks.
Usually, they have been bought for corporate use and have high engine hours so check that with your mileage. Make sure no one has cut up the floor to run a pto.
if you do not need the max towing power; there is no need for a diesel.

Last edited by tech2; May 17th, 2015 at 9:46 AM.