Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Hitchhikers.. no one rides for free

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2019, 1:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hitchhikers.. no one rides for free

The other night I left the house I am working on, jumped on the freeway and thought to myself... what is that noise? Is a door open? Is there something flapping in the door jamb? Is there plastic caught around the wheel somehow? Did I pick up a bunch of nails in a tire? It sounded like continuous sprays of gravel shooting up along the body. That couldn't be it however as I was travelling 100km/hr down the highway. There cannot be that much gravel for this length of distance and there's no way my tires are holding an endless supply. I was actually scared that I might be damaging my truck just by driving it. Then it dawned on me, perhaps I picked up some mice seeking the heat of the engine? I starting thinking maybe I am carrying a family of mice underneath. Eventually I looked down beside me, moving the belongings that I have strewn between the seats, I picked up my flashlight from and suddenly the noise stopped. I assumed something was rattling away in vibration and by moving the flashlight it ceased. I was tired, this was the fifth day of work and I am not used to it anymore. I never thought much of it again.

Today, I was almost motivated enough to go outside and wash the truck. The wheel well looks extra dirty. So I poked my head in there for an inspection wanting to observe the level of dirt and the accumulated rust. Well, what do I see? I haven't checked to see if there are more of them, but aside from feeling guilty, I sure hope he/she never started chewing anything. What a nightmare that would be.

Last edited by dberladyn; January 13th, 2019 at 3:14 PM.
Old January 13th, 2019, 1:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Gross... looks like the belt caught something... whatever it was got squished and sprayed up the inside of the firewall. Maybe his hind leg / tail or his friend. I don't even want to think about it.
Old January 14th, 2019, 12:01 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Rats and mice will indeed chew on wiring. I spent a month tracking down a mouse that not only chewed through my modem power cable, but one of my speaker cables as well, Have two cats, but they spend lots of time outdoors, and this little rascal would hide up in the shelvings in my 2nd family room. I found the nest and destroyed it.

The following week I caught him at ground level, looking for food or water. He ran behind my refrigerator, which was the last mistake he ever made. I shoved the reffer up against the kitchken shelving, and he was pinned in with nowhwere to go. Waited a couple of days, put on gloves and disposed of his body. Just call me part Cat!!!

No more mice in this home, no thanks to those two felines.