Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

I need wiring help on a 2011 Express/Savana (remote car starter)

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2017, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need wiring help on a 2011 Express/Savana (remote car starter)

OK, so I was thinking clearly at one point. I had decided that when I had the extra money I was going to have a professional install the following in my work van: a remote car starter, after market head unit with Bluetooth and back up camera, a warning light and chime if the back doors got left open, a blower for rear heat, etc.

Well, I decided I was too cheap to pay someone to do all of this so I started trying to do it myself. I thought "Heck I used to install this stuff years ago, and I do wiring and controls at work,..I got this!"

So I dove in with both feet. Big mistake!

So now I have a half installed car starter which was a complete nightmare. I installed a new head unit and now it doesn't work, and now the dash of my van is still all torn apart and looks like something off a mad max movie.

I have learned that I shouldn't be doing this stuff. Vehicles have changed a lot over the years and when I really stopped and thought about it I realized it had been 15 years since the last time I installed a remote car starter.

I think I am 90% there on the starter, lock controller installation.
Can someone send me the info on which wires I need to tap into for the remote starter and to add power door locks?
I looked at wiring diagrams on line but I have not had any luck finding out which wire is the crank/starter.
I see online that a module is usually needed for this vehicle BUT I always leave my chipped key in the ignition (I lock the doors) so I'm guessing I don't need that module but I'm not sure.

Another question. How do you get back the warning chimes after installing an aftermarket head unit?

Oh and what would cause my seat belt warning to keep flashing when my seat belt is fastened? The plug connector is plugged in underneath.

Last edited by Wyld_Bill; January 20th, 2017 at 8:50 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

this site my help
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...yeard/GMC.html

for the chimes, since they come through the radio...you will need an aftermarket chime module.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 1:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not sure but I believe that in 2011 they already had remote car starter as an option. If I was to pull this, I would first attempt to research how it was done from the factory and duplicate. It would probably be a few new part numbers, a new remote key fob and then activated with Tech 2. With the aftermarket remote starter, I can see the Passlock system, which is integrated in the ignition cyilnder lock unit, being a big obstacle.

For the chime, look up "GM chime retention interface".
Old January 23rd, 2017, 8:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

2011 does not use passlock; rather passkey theft deterrent. the vehicle uses a theft deterrent module and transponder keys not a resistor in the ignition. tech 2 will not set this up for remote start. modules must be programmed with a laptop from a gm server.
Old December 12th, 2018, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if remote start is available, waiting to be activated, for all the 2008+ model Chevy Express's? I'm having a really hard time figuring out if i need to buy key fob's and take a trip to the dealer or i have to buy one of those kits with the "T-cable" to wire in...

If its available on all models or just some shouldnt there be a code somewhere letting me know this?

FYI, i have a 2011 Chevy Express 3500, cargo, extended wheel base.
Old December 12th, 2018, 9:37 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For the Chime, just use the circuit board in your existing radio. You can pull the board right out of the radio and unplug it from the faceplate. Wrap it in non-conductive material for protection and your good to go. Just make sure you hook it up to an independent speaker (Front Left Output). Boom. Factory Chimes. The aftermarket sound like crap.

Last edited by dberladyn; December 12th, 2018 at 9:45 PM.
Old December 13th, 2018, 11:46 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nspb001
Does anyone know if remote start is available, waiting to be activated, for all the 2008+ model Chevy Express's? I'm having a really hard time figuring out if i need to buy key fob's and take a trip to the dealer or i have to buy one of those kits with the "T-cable" to wire in...

If its available on all models or just some shouldnt there be a code somewhere letting me know this?

FYI, i have a 2011 Chevy Express 3500, cargo, extended wheel base.
Most likely you do not have remote start. Unless yours was a custom order van, typically if someone orders remote start, then it would be equipped with many other options. Look for code BTVCONTROL REMOTE ENGINE START REMOTE CONTROL ENGINE START(BTV) on your passenger front door sticker. Remote start vans are also equipped with hood latch microswitch, so look for wires there.
Old December 13th, 2018, 7:44 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Remote Start from the Factory. I would assume the van is wired for it and is just missing the module. That is, unless he has next to no options. You likely definitely need a certain package to have the appropriate wiring harness.
Old December 13th, 2018, 9:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

For the 2016 models, the RPO code (sticker on passenger door) is BTV for remote start.