Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Initializing new TPMS without key fob

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2014, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initializing new TPMS without key fob

Can't get my Van to recognize my after market TPMS sensors.

Bought new tires/wheels/sensors from a local tire shop. The guy that installed them said he didn't know how to register them to the van without the original key fob. This is a plain Express van with no power locks etc. so I doubt it came with one.

Anyone know how to get them working without the key fob?

2011 Chevy Express 2500 panel van.
Old October 5th, 2014, 5:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

iirc...apply the ebrake, turn the key to run position but do not start the engine. cycle the headlamp switch to park and off 4x(maybe 5x?) and it should enter learn mode. You then need a tpm tool to complete the learn process.
Old October 6th, 2014, 1:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TPMS means...crap. The worst electronic addition to any vehicle.
I would try and bypass/ eliminate the whole thing if possible.
Old October 6th, 2014, 9:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the procedure from my 2010 Owner's Manual:

The TPMS sensor matching process is outlined below:
1. Set the parking brake.
2. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.
3. Press the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time for approximately five seconds. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.
If your vehicle does not have RKE, press the Driver Information Center (DIC) vehicle information
button until the PRESS V TO RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS message displays. The horn sounds
twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.
If your vehicle does not have RKE or DIC buttons, press the trip odometer reset stem located on the
instrument panel cluster until the PRESS V TO RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS message displays.
The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.
4. Start with the driver side front tire.
5. Remove the valve cap from the valve cap stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for five seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp, which may take up to 30 seconds to sound, confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.
6. Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
7. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
8. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5. The horn sounds two times to indicate the sensor identification code has been matched to the driver side rear tire, and that the TPMS sensor matching process is no longer active. The TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message on the DIC display screen goes off.
9. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.
10. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure
level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
11. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

Last edited by DougE; October 6th, 2014 at 9:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jamesm113 (October 20th, 2021)
Old October 6th, 2014, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your help. The two procedures above did not work.
My 2011 manual has the same procedure and that does works on the original wheels with my summer tires. I am beginning to suspect the sensors were not installed.
Any way to tell if they were installed without taking the tires off the rims?
Old October 6th, 2014, 10:52 AM
CF Junior Member

I'm not positive, but I think if you pull the core out of the valve stem, a wire should not be able to pass through into the tire if the tpms module is present.
Old October 6th, 2014, 10:56 AM
CF Junior Member

canucklehead - A major cause of traffic fatalities was/is underinflated tires on SUV's. I have seen the bodies on the side of the road myself. Yes, they can be a pain in the butt, but the ignorant masses need protection from themselves (although I'm a big proponent of the Darwin imperative).
Old October 6th, 2014, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

The other day I jumped into my van to do an out of town service call. The TPMS told me I had a low tire, down to 30 from 50psi in the previous 48 hours, but the tire looked fine. Saved me a big headache that day. I also like that I can check my tire pressure on the fly anytime. We have big temperature swings around here so I'm checking the pressure all the time. Ya, it can be a pain but I like TPMS.
Old October 6th, 2014, 3:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DougE
canucklehead - A major cause of traffic fatalities was/is underinflated tires on SUV's. I have seen the bodies on the side of the road myself. Yes, they can be a pain in the butt, but the ignorant masses need protection from themselves (although I'm a big proponent of the Darwin imperative).
What you mean to say is that these fatalities were the result of people not maintaining their tire pressures. Proper vehicle maintenance and using one's brain saves live....Now I have to put up with another electronic issue on newer vehicles because people are stupid. I am so glad that our 2007 hhr does not have it. It came out in 08.
Old October 6th, 2014, 3:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Frugal Dave
The other day I jumped into my van to do an out of town service call. The TPMS told me I had a low tire, down to 30 from 50psi in the previous 48 hours, but the tire looked fine. Saved me a big headache that day. I also like that I can check my tire pressure on the fly anytime. We have big temperature swings around here so I'm checking the pressure all the time. Ya, it can be a pain but I like TPMS.
Yes, it is nice to be able to see it while driving. However I have read so many posts about people swapping to their winter tires and now the system won't recognize the sensors, blah blah. Its cost money and hassle every 6 months now to run the proper tires, unless you live in texas or something...lol
Me, I just check my tires often. It takes a few minutes once in a while.
I like simple, easy to fix and maintain old school stuff. Too much stuff goes wrong too easily on cars an trucks now. But hey, that's just my opinion.
As for your issue, have you called the dealer and asked them about the relearn procedure? They may have some ideas. Also, the guy who sold you the sensors and did not program them sounds fishy to me. Maybe call another tire shop that sells the same sensors and ask about that. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Initializing new TPMS without key fob