Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Interior plastic panel removal (rear)

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2011, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior plastic panel removal (rear)

I recently purchased a 2007 Express 1500 AWD full size van and need to wire up trailer lights. I have already purchased a wiring harness with connectors that clip into the factory harness at the tail lights.

The process all looks very simple.... however, I need to remove the plastic interior panels in the back corners (that cover the tail lights/wiring) and also the overhead plastic panel above the back doors.

Any and all advice or tips would be appreciated before I start trying to pull things apart! Thanks!
Old October 29th, 2011, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I went ahead and installed my Hopkins wiring harness today. Everything went well and it turned out that removing the interior plastic panels wasn't too tough. They are held in by metal/plastic clips that separate easily as long as you use a long screwdriver (or similar) and pry them straight out. There was no damage done anywhere and they all re-snapped back into place when I was done.

The Hopkins custom wiring harness (from eTrailer.com) is pretty slick. It cost $60 and was delivered in 3 days. Snap, Snap, done... The eTrailer website also has a couple of video's that I watched.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no connection with eTrailer/Hopkins. Just a satisfied customer!

Last edited by TwoUnderPar; October 29th, 2011 at 7:06 PM. Reason: edited for spelling
Old June 3rd, 2022, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rear plastic panels

How did you remove the rear plastic panel on driver's side? Tried using screw drivers but the part of panel closest to back door seems to be attached to something. I am afraid to apply too much pressure.
Old June 3rd, 2022, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

only clips, just like TUP said. Unless somebody added something.
Old June 3rd, 2022, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed the panel

Thanks! It worked! Was just afraid to break it.
Old June 4th, 2022, 2:51 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Almost all of the inside trim on these vans snaps into place. There is a speaker pod on some that bolts in - the fancy interior actually covers that with another piece. Sometimes the clip comes off the trim and sticks, you just pop it out and snap it back on the part.

My guess is as they age they will get brittle, particularly in hot climates.

The only other thing you have to watch is 97-02 door panels you slide up once the screws are removed. 03-up pop out like most other door panels. I know that's not relevant here, but wanted to mention it.