Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Jacks

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2019, 1:45 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jacks

I was wondering,
what fancy jacks are everyone using? Not that I have had to change a tire, but you never know. Better prepared than sorry in one of those long family trips. I always have a can of tire sealant, and a pump.
Old June 30th, 2019, 2:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

3 ton floor Jack from harbor freight.
Old June 30th, 2019, 3:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

What's wrong with the factory jack? With its low profile and compact storage I quite like it.

Tire sealant will ruin your tire. Use a full size spare.
Old June 30th, 2019, 3:28 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Tire sealant will ruin your tire. Use a full size spare.
Truth
Old June 30th, 2019, 4:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Beau Oszman
Truth
Many tire shops won't touch tires that have been sealed so you might as well throw it out.
If you can't use your spare, then at least use a plug kit. They're inexpensive and it takes a second for a tire tech to remove.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; July 1st, 2019 at 3:09 AM.
Old June 30th, 2019, 9:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

and the sealant in some products eats the epoxy in the tpm sensor.

plug kits installed from the outside are ok in an emergency but 20% will fail at high speeds. They lower the speed rating of the tire. they are ok for slow moving vehicles. The best install is a plug/patch installed from the inside of the tire.
The following users liked this post:
Doug D (July 3rd, 2019)
Old July 1st, 2019, 12:13 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tech2
plug kits installed from the outside are ok in an emergency but 20% will fail at high speeds. They lower the speed rating of the tire. they are ok for slow moving vehicles. The best install is a plug/patch installed from the inside of the tire.
Maybe I'm just lucky, every new tire I've put on my sport bike has picked up a nail. I've personally plugged each one myself and run 100+ mph (do not try at home) testing WOT to adjust carbs. I know, either someone up there really likes me, or someone down there hates me. Older, smarter, and safer now.
Old July 1st, 2019, 3:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tech2
plug kits installed from the outside are ok in an emergency
Of course, I meant in an emergency, and only until you get the tire fixed professionally. I think plugs also tend to leak over time.
Old July 1st, 2019, 8:25 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my own/personal/safety reasons on why I prefer to lost a tire to a cheap AutoZone sealant than staying in the road (thats highway, city is completly different) replacing tires.

I asked the jack questions since most forums I participate people complain about the OE jack, looks that in this Forum people is OK with the OE option.

Just was wondering, that all. thanks.
Old July 1st, 2019, 10:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I use the factory jack. It's fine. Seems a bit slow at times, but as stated, it is small, compact and it just works. Why GM put a plastic nut to hold it in it's storage mount though? I lost mine on a bad day. Need to find another.

Another thing. When I bought my truck, I bought it off the manager of a Cadillac Dealership. I am convinced that's why it was there. A fancier cargo van at a fancier dealership. Anyways, they insisted on putting on wheel locks, even though I had so 'NO'. Do not do that. I have a fancy wheel lock and you cannot steel my plain jane steel wheels. I would take it off, but I need four new lug nuts to do that. I am more concerned about losing the key for lock than I am about someone stealing my wheels.