Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Le Moose

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2019, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you. I'm waiting for warmer weather to redo some of it.The entire bed assy had been taken out for some warranty rear AC/heater work, and the empty space came in handy today to move a sectional couch for my daughter. And the backup cam failed, so I have a new one to go in. It isn't happening soon, as we're supposed to get 6-7 inches of snow/ice tomorrow night. Brrr.
Old March 3rd, 2019, 11:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
Okay, I got a few things done today. I ran power to the rear of the van , and installed a cig socket to charge a phone bedside. I built bedside LED lamps out of mahogany. And also, a "night stand" of sorts. It is made from re-purposed tongue and groove knotty pine.
I like the looks of your "night stand" on the side of your bed. Can you post a picture of it with the doors opened up to see how they work and the extra storage they give you?
Thanks.
Old March 3rd, 2019, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Unfortunately, I can't. It's currently apart. I had to have some warranty rear HVAC work done, and the bed assy needed to go. I'm leaving it out a bit as I have to replace the backup cam, and the wires run along the floor. And then there's the weather.

But I can say there isn't a lot of storage. While the top is about 6" wide, the base is the 3.5" side of a 2X4. And because I made the whole bed assy to be removable, gravity and the foam mattress holds it in place. Luckily, I used memory foam, so it remembers what to do.
Old May 28th, 2019, 9:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this camera still working out for you ?
Amazon Amazon
Thank you
Ken
Old May 29th, 2019, 6:41 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do the newer LS engined conversions vans (explorers YF7s) that come w/ NAV have backup cameras?

I like the linked camera however I want to be able to view downward to trailer hitch.

I have an independent el cheapo $6. chin cheesie camera and audio o vox monitor.TB
Old May 29th, 2019, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my Samsung Tablet resting on the steering column in front of the standard gauges. It is in a standard thin case. I folded back the hinged cover and it fits in nicely between the padded dash and hard plastic bezel(?). I have all the gauges I need and then some running Torque Pro. I found having it mounted to the right of the dash was distracting.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 3:16 PM
CF Veteran

ChevyVanMan- no, my Navinio quit working, but I believe it was because I wired it to be on whenever the radio was on, not with the backup lights. I did that so I could switch to it at any time to monitor my trailer. I think I just wore it out. The replacement is wired to a switch.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 3:18 PM
CF Veteran

Brain- I want to mount a separate camera at the hitch, to aid in backing up to the trailer.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 5:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Backing everything all the way up to 53' at work with and w/out cameras installed (7 years), nothing beats proper mirrors and knowing how to use them. Just experience here, don't fixate on anything, keep checking.
Old June 2nd, 2019, 9:17 PM
CF Veteran

First, my trailer is so small, I couldn't see it at all in my Astro. With the Express, it's even worse. Being so small, it's no big deal to bring the trailer to the van. But sometimes, I need to haul something bigger. A second cam at the hitch would make it much easier to back up TO a trailer.

On a side note, a job I had too many years ago, I drove a 10 wheeler. Every night I had to back it up about 100 yard gravel driveway, and **** it in to a diagonal parking spot. Fun times.