Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Locking Differential?

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2018, 2:33 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GOOD DEAL.....
I feel much better knowing I am being thought of... lol
so now you have the answer you just now
have to order the part.. and install it... if and when you do
Take pics... hey... if you tell me when you start I will
remind you to take pics... I know how you forget.. lol..
Old February 13th, 2018, 2:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

That makes sense for your 3500. The 1500s will probably have a 7.6 or 8".

From what I've read, those Powertrax units have dangerous handling issues, especially in snow. And they wear down your tires quicker.
Old February 13th, 2018, 3:03 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned 2 units in 2 different vehicles..and installed 1 unit in my cousin's 1500 gmc truck.
I never had any issues... never mind wearing the tires... I LAUGH at that statement...
this unit does not LOCK the Diff.... like a mini spool... does... it actually ratchets.
I WILL be installing 1 unit in MY VAN... when I can.
Old February 13th, 2018, 4:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

From what people are saying, it is locking at very unwanted times, like accelerating turns, causing understeer at best. At worst, causing loss of control in slippery conditions. I'm sure results vary depending on the application. It would really suck if Stan's warranty claims were denied because of drivetrain modification though.
Old February 13th, 2018, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

From what I've heard, it's deceleration on turns, when you're going too fast in the first place that can be a problem. I've been driving for 45 years and am quite aware of slippery conditions, much less going too fast in those situations. As far as Powertrax goes, there are two lockers. The Lock-Right, made for racing and off road, and the No-Slip, for the daily driver and towing. I'm going with the No-Slip. As far as when, well I've had a bit of a financial set back this past week, and won't be doing this soon. I'll not be taking my boat to the Memorial Day weekend event.. The ramp is a private ramp, steep and not maintained (read "slimey/slippery"). So, my plan for then will involve a small two wheeled toy instead (1969 Honda CT70, or Trail 70)