Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Looking for grille for 85 chevy G20

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2022, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for grille for 85 chevy G20

Been looking for a grille for my Van. Most places list them back ordered or not available. New custom grilles aren't made for Van's or don't make them for vehicle's this age.

There are no longer parts yards in my area and ones that carry parts only go to 93.

If any knows where I might find one sure would appreciate it.

Have converted this Van for camping thru the winter, usually drive from New England to Western Arizona each fall & back in the spring. Been doing that for ten years. Replaced the 305 with a 350, rebuilt the trans, upgraded springs front & back. 400 watts solar on the roof, lithium battery. 12v fridge, 12v chest freezer, 3 burner stove w/oven, 100 watt pure sine wave inverter.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; July 26th, 2022 at 9:25 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2022, 3:24 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Grille should interchange 85-92 any quad light van. Dual light may swap too, you'd just have to put your turn signals into it.
Old August 4th, 2022, 3:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Funny you should mention, I’m looking for a grill for my ‘89 G20. Looks a lot like yours.

Here it is with bone yard bonnet in place.

This is the closest thing I can find online, it looks like it’s missing the top horizontal chrome strip. If the rest is accurate size, maybe I could make it work. They list it as being for other large Chevy vehicles in the same era. The link works as a cut and paste. It was pretty long so I tiny urled it. From the verb “to tiny url.“

https://tinyurl.com/37jbsm2f

They list the vehicles that it fits. Perhaps I could find one at a boneyard with grill in place and measure and otherwise examine it. The chrome strip could be repaired on mine I think, it’s not in horrible shape. But the plastic is beat up in places. Pretty hard to make that look clean again.

Last edited by cmac2012; August 4th, 2022 at 3:12 PM.
Old August 4th, 2022, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Grille

While looking online continuously for a grille. I came across a chevy truck forum and they were discussing getting Van grilles and putting them in their trucks.
The only difference is the 2 outer attachment holes on the Van grille are further back and they just redrilled new holes.
So, I ended up buying an 85 - 88 pick up truck grille. Comes with the 4 outer pieces of chrome mounted. Just moved my center peice to the new grille. Installed it last night.

Bought it from Amazon for about $76.

Fitrite Autoparts New Grille For 1985-1988 Chevrolet C/K Full Size Pickup, Suburban ,Painted Argent [Has Holes For Center Molding],For Quad Lamp Style Trucks GM1200140 15554911

I drilled 2 outer top holes, center hole and 2 bottom holes lined up.If I had known this I would of had a knew grille 2 years ago.

Last edited by David4078; August 4th, 2022 at 3:47 PM.
Old August 4th, 2022, 7:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Excellent news The one at the link in my post was described thusly:

Auto Metal Direct Grille Assembly 1985-1988 Chevy C/K Series Truck, Blazer, Suburban. Sounds a lot like what you describe. The one in my link has the Chevrolet symbol in middle. Is that what you meant by center piece?

Last edited by cmac2012; August 4th, 2022 at 7:14 PM.
Old August 4th, 2022, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cmac2012
Excellent news The one at the link in my post was described thusly:

Auto Metal Direct Grille Assembly 1985-1988 Chevy C/K Series Truck, Blazer, Suburban. Sounds a lot like what you describe. The one in my link has the Chevrolet symbol in middle. Is that what you meant by center piece.
No, I was able to reuse the center peice along with the bow tie off my old grill. It had the 2 strips of chrome top and bottom.
I couldn't find those peices cheap enough and mine were reusable.
The chrome above the grille and below don't come out with the grille insert so no worries there.
Finding a junk yard that has a vehicle older than a 93 is impossible in these parts, so getting parts is becoming difficult. Places that use to sell these parts now say they are discontinued.
I just noticed on your link it says:
Single Headlight Models Only
I think you can probably save your center colored strip and reuse your bow tie. Just need to save the strange nuts they use to hold it on.

Last edited by David4078; August 4th, 2022 at 7:26 PM.
Old August 5th, 2022, 12:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by David4078
No, I was able to reuse the center peice along with the bow tie off my old grill. It had the 2 strips of chrome top and bottom.
I couldn't find those peices cheap enough and mine were reusable.
The chrome above the grille and below don't come out with the grille insert so no worries there.
Finding a junk yard that has a vehicle older than a 93 is impossible in these parts, so getting parts is becoming difficult. Places that use to sell these parts now say they are discontinued.
I just noticed on your link it says:
Single Headlight Models Only
I think you can probably save your center colored strip and reuse your bow tie. Just need to save the strange nuts they use to hold it on.
I feel very lucky with the junkyard scene here in the Bay Area. There are three Pick and Pulls within my normal range of commuting for jobs. I just bought three body parts from an ‘88 G20 in excellent shape. It had been a wheelchair lift vehicle, general wear was light. I got tge passenger door, the hood, and a rear door in excellent shape.

I can still find G20s at the boneyard semi-regular. I have ‘84 and ‘86 Mercedes diesels and can find parts now and then for them. Lucky for me they made the gas models of the W126 for about 6 years longer than the Diesels. Body parts still show up.

Not sure what they mean by “single headlight only.”
Old August 5th, 2022, 4:39 AM
CF Beginner

What they mean by single headlight only is 1 headlight on each side of grille. Looks like you have dual or 2 headlights on each side.
With dual headlights, the parking light is behind and attached to the grille. Single headlight has the parking light below the headlight. With that grille there would be no way to install your parking lights without making some kind of bracket behind the grille.