Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   Looking to purchase 03-05 Cargo van. v6 or V8? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/looking-purchase-03-05-cargo-van-v6-v8-64022/)

smileyboy March 5th, 2014 8:36 AM

Looking to purchase 03-05 Cargo van. v6 or V8?

Hi, just found the Express forums. I'm looking for a new work van. I went from a 1995 G20 that I had for 5 years to a Ford Windstar cargo thinking I would save on gas... All that did was make me hate fords and make me realize that a Full size van is the way to go. I'm a service electrician.

So I'm looking at getting a 03-05 1500 Express cargo Van. I'd prefer a V6 just for milage purposes.

Any thoughts on the V6, what do I look for problem wise and what is a good price to pay?
thanks

Desert Gringo March 5th, 2014 9:20 AM

by the time you add roof racks to carry ladders and conduit, then weathergaurd roll out boxes and shelving in the van. plus if you ever haul a trailer to the job site.
you will want a v-8 any mountains in your area, or big long hills? go V-8

smileyboy March 5th, 2014 9:26 AM

It won't be towing and I just do small jobs. But I'll take both for a spin. I do live close to the Rockies. :)

canucklehead March 5th, 2014 9:58 AM

Expect 13 miles per gallon on a v8 half ton. Maybe 15 highway if you have the 3.42 gears.
The 03 up has the newer engines which are more expensive to repair. Do some research....
I have an 02 with the vortec 350 and its rock solid, but the 13 mpg sucks.
Also the express is at least 6 foot 9 tall which makes underground parking very hard. Its my number one issue as a tradesperson. A smaller van will be easier to park.
What about a used astro? or maybe go with a caravan cargo? How much weight do you carry?

smileyboy March 5th, 2014 11:27 AM

I mostly do resi work and there aren't too many underground parking garages here in Denver. I will check out an Astro van. The Carvans are too small. It's mostly small parts, 4 ft 6ft 12ft ladders and some pipe.

tsbrewers March 5th, 2014 3:14 PM

I don't know much about them, but I think the 6cyl. would treat you fine. you can check out a site like fuelly.com to get an idea on what to expect for mileage.

I get about 14 with my '06 3500.

Brew

Edit: I just checked out fuelly myself and it looks like the average for the 1500 V6's are about 14-16mpg. For that I would get a v8 and live with the slight hit on mileage.

Desert Gringo March 6th, 2014 4:20 PM

just small jobs, then I would look into a 4.3 Astro van , I have used many Astros in my line of work as appliance tech. a good pickem up truck with service shell is nice too.

greenfire March 6th, 2014 5:32 PM

If you have a lot of hills and mountains, the v6 will have to work harder and get worse mileage. Small v8 might be fine.

canucklehead March 6th, 2014 5:55 PM

If you buy an astro. Look at a passenger one. I find that the white cargo ones are made cheaper and paint falls off along with other things. The passenger version is nicer and has better finishing. Just remove the seats, put plywood over the carpet, and put up some shelving.