Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Loosing break fluid

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2017, 6:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sucks about the freeze plug. I hate the fact that gm put them behind the flywheel at the back of the block. Ford's dont have them there.
Valve medic may help your valve. High mileage oil too. Valvoline max life for example is very good oil.
As fro the brakes. Rear brakes are easy. Changing a wheel cyliner is also fairly easy. But you will need to bleed the brakes after.
Until you actually pull off the drums to see where you are at, you are just guessing. Unless you know the diff between brake fluid and diff fluid by smell....or ha ha taste...( we all do it) then seeing is believing.Since either fluid could end up as a trickle on the inside of the rear wheels you need to investigate. {However in my opinion, if it was brake fluid leaking enough to reach the ground, you should have a mushy pedal, or a brake warning light come on. }
Post a pic of what you see.

Last edited by canucklehead; October 16th, 2017 at 6:48 PM.
Old October 16th, 2017, 6:50 PM
DWB
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I took off the back wheel and I sprayed the inside of the back wheel and the back of that break area off with brake cleaner just to clean it up and see where I was at. I really don't know how to get into the brakes does that Hub just pull off I pulled on it and it didn't seem to move?
Old October 16th, 2017, 6:54 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Today, 6:45 PM #11
canucklehead
DONT say we all do it... cause they all dont swallow either.... lol
Old October 16th, 2017, 6:56 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YES.. pics tell a thousand words..
go ahead
Today, 6:45 PM #11
canucklehead
post that pic for us.. tasting it .. lmao
Old October 16th, 2017, 7:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

One thing may help, and that is block the wheels, and DON'T set the parking brake. The brake will hold the drum on. So, block the wheels, and let the van rest on the blocks. Then place it in park, and proceed with disassembly.

Truthfully, if you've never done drum brakes, it might be best to have someone show you. A little help goes a long way. Don't know where you are, but if it were close..... At least if you get the drum off, you can see the cylinder, and if it's leaking or not.
Old October 17th, 2017, 11:07 PM
DWB
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
One thing may help, and that is block the wheels, and DON'T set the parking brake. The brake will hold the drum on. So, block the wheels, and let the van rest on the blocks. Then place it in park, and proceed with disassembly.

Truthfully, if you've never done drum brakes, it might be best to have someone show you. A little help goes a long way. Don't know where you are, but if it were close..... At least if you get the drum off, you can see the cylinder, and if it's leaking or not.
I'm in Moiliili on Oahu,,,
Old October 17th, 2017, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

work on one side using the other side as your template for where the parts go - the 2nd side is always much easier. Basic tools available at auto store for spring removal
Old October 18th, 2017, 5:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DWB
I'm in Moiliili on Oahu,,,
I am SO tempted. But past that, I'm envious.
Old October 18th, 2017, 10:09 PM
DWB
CF Junior Member

I have no idea why it started to lose the brake fluid while I was using the emergency brake because my van won't go into Park. Now the leaking has seemed to stop almost gone away Dart slow down so slow that it doesn't seem to be a problem I thought the emergency brake was completely independent of the hydraulic system for some reason by pressing the emergency brake so hard it pushed the brake pads out so hard that it messed with the caliper I don't know?????
Old October 18th, 2017, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is separate. Its a cable. As for the leak, until you actually pull off a drum and look, you wont know. Take it for a free estimate at a brake shop. Just make sure they dont have some bogus policy of forcing the repair on you or they wont let you leave....or they wont put your wheels back on.