Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

malfunctioning fuel guage

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2007, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default malfunctioning fuel guage

I own a 2000chevy express 1500 conversion van -5.7 liter engine.
about 2 weeks ago the fuel guage needle started vibrating and fluctuating, Itcontinues giving an accurate reading of the amount of fuel in the gas tank but the needle keeps vibrating, my question is what could be causing this to happen? your feedback will be greatly appreciated......Thanks
Old December 15th, 2007, 6:38 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: malfunctioning fuel guage

Ever figure this out?
Old December 15th, 2007, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

no, the guage is accurate but the needle still vibrates
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

My 2000 Express van is doing the same thing. Did anyone ever figure out the problem? Thanks!
Old January 14th, 2008, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Hello guys,
I thought I would let you know what I did to fix this. I had a 99 Tahoe with a 5.7 and mine started doing the same thing, after a year of putting up with it I decided to buy a new gauge assembly on eBay. I installed the cluster as an assembly and it fixed the jerky needle. So to keep my mileage I took the two clusters apart and swapped the odometer, not ot mess with the needles and it works great until I just sold it last week, but get this. I bought an 03 burban 2500 in Chicago, I live in NY. I was driving it home yesterday and the damn thing ran out of gas at a 1.4 of a tank. I thought I really broke it or bought a lemon but added a few gallons and it started right back up. In reading sounds like they still have not gotten the fuel gauge thing corrected yet. Hope this helps
Keith
Old October 18th, 2009, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

I know this is an old post I'm replying to but since I am reading this for the first time and had a similar experience I will tell you what I did to fix the problem. My guage would act normal then stick then sometimes drop all the way down, basically you had to ignore it and judge your gas by the odometer. In my case, if the car sat for a day or so, it was harder to start. I replaced the fuel pump which is located inside the gas tank(drop the tank) and the new pump and float installed fixed all the problems I had. The float moves a variable resistor which seems to be the problem with many gas guage issues.
Old October 30th, 2009, 2:24 AM
Banned

Default malfunctioning fuel guage

I purchased my 97 TJ knowing it had a fuel guage problem. I would like to see if anyone has any ideas on what might be causing it. The guage reads halfway even though I fill the tank and sometimes will go down to E for a minute or two then back up to halfway. I am guessing the fuel guage is faulty but not sure. Has anyone had this problem or suggestions?
Old November 2nd, 2009, 2:05 PM
Professional Mechanic

On some of these models you should just be able to replace the fuel level sender which is on the side of the fuel pump. The problem is the little metal feeler fingers break off of the fuel level sender causing the reading to be off because it isn't getting a complete signal to the dash.