Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Moving seats in a 15 passenger?

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2018, 2:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would go out and check mine, but we're getting snow. I'm guessing we have 5" so far. But my guess would be no. I'd think the reason they are in both rows 3 and 4 (not counting the front seats) is so the split bench that is always the last row will fit the shorter wheelbase. And, if there was that ability, to put the split bench in row 2, it would block access to row 3. And crowd the door.

I haven't seen Chris in here since shortly after I sold him my splits. Miss his insight.
Old March 21st, 2018, 5:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm... Too bad Chris isn't active in this thread anymore, but Stan, if you get a chance to check yours I'd appreciate it (I assume you have the extended version). It makes sense for the rails to be the same between the 12 and 15 passenger versions of the extended length vans (minimizes manufacturing differences on the production line). As for placement in the van, I'd like to make the 4 person split bench the second bench in the van (or the 3rd row if you include the front driver/passenger seats, whichever is easier to visualize). I wouldn't put any seats behind it, just have space for cargo. The fact that the 4-seat bench would block access behind it is actually a benefit in this case because it would reduce the possibility for things to shift.

In the photos posted by Chris, it looks like there might be a bump in the floor that extends forward to the 3rd row location (2nd bench), which suggests that the rails might be present there. I hope so...
Old March 21st, 2018, 8:47 PM
CF Veteran

I did get out to shovel, and just went out to see, and no lump. I can understand how it would be handy for your needs, but I'd guess that not enough people would do this.

And yes, mine is the 155" wheelbase. I've built a bed behind that seat, and while I take that seat out for camping, having a slight opening there is handy. It is also my daily driver, and I use that space for cargo. It is good for keeping stuff from shifting(as you point out).
Old March 22nd, 2018, 11:08 AM
CF Active Member

Well... shucks. Thanks for checking Stan! I didn't really expect that the rails would be there, but I was hoping GM used the same front-to-back rails in all positions to minimize part differences during production. I know there's still quite a bit of cargo space when moving the rear split bench forward, and I'm not really sure how much space I'll need (to be honest). I was mostly going with the "more is better" approach and was hopeful that those rails would be there. I really just want the flexibility to move seats around where I want them.

A little back-story... We are outgrowing our Toyota Sienna...2 adults, 5 kids, and stuff... lots of STUFF. Just visiting family for a few days is becoming a nightmare as the kids get bigger. Additionally, we are hoping to get something that can pull a relatively large camper, and that has narrowed our search down to the Nissan NV and the GM vans. Despite the NV being the newest van to the market, it still lacks some features that I want and it costs a lot more than the Chevy/GMC. So, if i have to compromise anyway, I'd rather have more space and be able to afford a few modifications along the way. The so-called 324 possible seating arrangements of the NV are a joke, and I'd sacrifice a lot of seating by removing the last row to increase cargo space.

I really appreciate your help, and I'm glad this thread wasn't completely dead when I found it!
Old March 22nd, 2018, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Well,the gang is pretty good about answering. I have entirely too much time on my hands, so I'm in here a lot.

Something to consider if you're gonna tow. And I was quite surprised to find this, but even having the tow package doesn't mean that you will have a limited slip differential. Which means that if you don't have it, you have one wheel drive. What to look for is the RPO code "G80", and these codes are found on the passenger door. It's a sticker with a paragraph of codes that specify what options are on that van. Good luck.
Old March 24th, 2018, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I didn't even see this until now. For some reason I never get notifications from this site, even though I have it added to my safe list and all that. I apologize

I will go out and check in a bit and see if mine is any different, than what Stan found in his.

Originally Posted by GatorHawk24
Well... shucks. Thanks for checking Stan! I didn't really expect that the rails would be there, but I was hoping GM used the same front-to-back rails in all positions to minimize part differences during production. I know there's still quite a bit of cargo space when moving the rear split bench forward, and I'm not really sure how much space I'll need (to be honest). I was mostly going with the "more is better" approach and was hopeful that those rails would be there. I really just want the flexibility to move seats around where I want them.

A little back-story... We are outgrowing our Toyota Sienna...2 adults, 5 kids, and stuff... lots of STUFF. Just visiting family for a few days is becoming a nightmare as the kids get bigger. Additionally, we are hoping to get something that can pull a relatively large camper, and that has narrowed our search down to the Nissan NV and the GM vans. Despite the NV being the newest van to the market, it still lacks some features that I want and it costs a lot more than the Chevy/GMC. So, if i have to compromise anyway, I'd rather have more space and be able to afford a few modifications along the way. The so-called 324 possible seating arrangements of the NV are a joke, and I'd sacrifice a lot of seating by removing the last row to increase cargo space.

I really appreciate your help, and I'm glad this thread wasn't completely dead when I found it!
Old March 24th, 2018, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Ok I checked mine, and the only two rails that extend the full length of the floor (front the back door to the back of the front seats) are the two outer rails. The two outer rails hold the one-piece three person seats. So you can do the split 4 person bench in the rear most row, or the row in front of that.

Originally Posted by GatorHawk24

Old March 24th, 2018, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Good to see you in here, Chris.
Old March 24th, 2018, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Nice to see you as well! I don't spend quite as much time here as I did last year, but I still pop in from time to time.

Originally Posted by StanVan
Good to see you in here, Chris.
Old March 25th, 2018, 8:40 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks for checking. 0 for 2 on the rails, so I guess that confirms it. At least I know what to expect when we finally get to look at one (might even happen today).

Quick Reply: Moving seats in a 15 passenger?