Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

My 2001 Camper Conversion Van

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2017, 2:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I made another modification to my roof rack basket this week. Due to garage door clearance issues, I could not pack both of my reclining lawn chairs on the rack as it was too short and one chair had to stack on top of the other chair, which made it too high to drive into my garage. I ordered another rack extension on the internet and installed it. Now there is enough room for both chairs to lay flat and I can drive it into my garage without removing one chair first.

My original roof rack was a Bison brand and it came with one extension. The second extension I purchased was a Curt brand and it fit rather nicely without any modifications.

Last edited by Black'95; May 14th, 2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old May 14th, 2017, 8:09 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very resourcefull,like all upgrades exspecialley the neatness of wireing.

I have a 02 I call doomsday survival/tow van.
Attached Thumbnails My 2001 Camper Conversion Van-splash1.jpg  
Old May 15th, 2017, 9:03 AM
CF Active Member

Nice looking van! Like my '01, it is worth fixing and keeping roadworthy.

Last edited by Black'95; May 17th, 2017 at 9:03 AM.
Old May 16th, 2017, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twscarp
Here is 82 1/2" to the weatherstrip on the garage door. I have about 5/8" clearance between the weatherstrip and the roof of the van, (08 1500 empty). These dimensions are with 225 tires (it has 225's from a previous owner), stock is 245's, about 5/8" taller.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/att...1&d=1494440679
Now that is close, glad I have the extra 2" for clearance.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:22 AM
CF Active Member

I had some problem with the water bag falling off the picnic table seat where we like to place it because it would tend to roll with water in it. (reference: https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...e6/#post327313 ) I solved the problem by building a plywood platform with a plastic edge on it (from surplus pieces of white bathroom wallboard).

As you can see, I also use my van leveling blocks to level the picnic table when I am not using them to level the van.

I used the bottom of the bag as a pattern so it would fit. Then I flattened the front edge for faucet functionality.

Last edited by Black'95; June 15th, 2017 at 8:12 AM.
Old May 28th, 2017, 8:03 PM
CF Active Member

In addition to the little tray I added to one of the window sills in the van (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...e7/#post337519) I also added another similar try to the top of my sink edging.

I used a piece of paneling edge trim to hold it in place on the edge of my van sink. I mounted the paneling edge trim with some 3M body molding tape from my local auto supply store. It turned out to be very handy and easily removable. My wife thinks it is the cat's meow!
Old June 6th, 2017, 7:52 AM
CF Active Member

Most of the modifications I make now are more like fine tuning my van as we are using it now. Every once in awhile I find something new that helps make life easier in our van. This is one of those. I had my dash cam connected through a 12 volt adapter, but this new adapter lets me plug my dash cam directly into a USB port type charger. One less adapter to mess with. I hid the dash cam cord behind the trim around the windshield and under the trim on the front of the door opening trim to keep it out of sight.

Old June 12th, 2017, 8:24 AM
CF Active Member

This week's improvement to my camper van was a very minor item, but one that my wife really likes. I added a Post-It note holder to her side of the center console. Very minor item, but she really likes having them that handy and it even has a pen holder.

Old June 14th, 2017, 4:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to get one of those battery holders and the relay to go with it. I need a power supply for my cpap. Could you explain how that works?
Real nice set up.
Old June 15th, 2017, 8:10 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by JIMMYDRIVER1
I would love to get one of those battery holders and the relay to go with it. I need a power supply for my cpap. Could you explain how that works?
Real nice set up.
I mounted the battery holder underneath on the frame of the van, then connected it in parallel to my main van starting battery with a relay on the positive side. The wire from the relay that energizes it was connected to a fuse that only got energy when the ignition was turned on. That way when the motor was running, the secondary battery was connected receiving power to charge it but when I turned off the ignition the secondary battery was isolated. I could use the secondary battery in the camper part of my van without fear of running down the starting battery.
Hope that helps explain it.

Quick Reply: My 2001 Camper Conversion Van