Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

My 2001 Camper Conversion Van

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2017, 4:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Black'95
thats a clean install.. looks great and very functional.....
just one thought.. maybe you did it or something else.. when you
drilled into the door... for the lower screws.. before you run the screws in
you could have either painted the holes or used silicone sealer into the
threads so that the moisture .rain . snow.. wouldnt rust or as apt to rust.
like I said.. just a thought and maybe you ( did something. ) like that ?
Old November 7th, 2017, 9:06 AM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, and I also fabricated some rubber gaskets for the top clips and the bottom pads so that the Al ladder was not in direct contact with the painted metal of the van. The ladder came with screws but no gasket or padding material.
Old November 7th, 2017, 11:28 AM
CF Pro Member

Thats an Awsome idea... GREAT JOB.....
after you saying that makes total since.....
( I would have thought it would have come with gaskets thought ).....
any Ways.. Great heads up on that install.
Old October 20th, 2018, 5:08 PM
CF Active Member

I have not been modifying my van camper much, just using it to travel and camp. This weekend it was time for another modification that I have been contemplating for quite some time, especially ever since the previous solar eclipse that I viewed from central Wyoming. I have always thought that my roof rack would make a good observation deck as well as able to carry stuff. In addition, items carried on top will not fall through the bars and scratch the paint on the roof of the van. To that effect I purchased several diamond tread aluminum panels that would fit between the reinforcement bars of my roof rack. Today I mounted them and screwed them down. Now my rear roof rack ladder leads to my new observation deck. .

Last edited by Black'95; December 1st, 2018 at 4:40 PM.
Old October 20th, 2018, 7:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice. I can't do anything to my roof as I already am limited by the garages I frequent. Which was something I didn't have to worry about in my Astro.
Old October 24th, 2018, 6:15 PM
CF Pro Member

BLACK 95 that sure looks nice... I am kinda getting the feeling that the MPG just went down another gallon...
I sure would be interested to know what that weighs.... and how many people it takes to install
it on the roof of your van... Wink. lol Hi GUYS...
Old October 25th, 2018, 8:26 AM
CF Active Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Teammuir1
BLACK 95 that sure looks nice... I am kinda getting the feeling that the MPG just went down another gallon...
I sure would be interested to know what that weighs.... and how many people it takes to install
it on the roof of your van... Wink. lol Hi GUYS...
I am sure the mileage did go down, but now I can carry my reclining lawn chairs! It only takes one person to install or remove it because I have a 12 volt cable hoist on my garage ceiling. I mounted it years ago when I had a DIY Box that I would mount on the roof rack of my old 1990 K-Blazer.

Last edited by Black'95; October 25th, 2018 at 8:30 AM.
Old April 29th, 2019, 7:45 PM
CF Active Member

It was time for a minor modification to the box that I plug my TV cable and power cable in to my van. I was always running an extra extension cord from the campsite power post for my campsite security lights and my coffee maker that I use on my tire step. I found an old single outlet that i mounted on the power cord box, so now I do not need the extra extension cord. It is the circular outlet with the brass outer edge and the plastic childproof plug in it.

Old April 29th, 2019, 8:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice. I'd be curious why you don't just run a 12 volt TV. Many of today's flat screens use a power supply like a laptop, and are 12 volts. I found a 15" at a Goodwill for $15.

Just sayin'.
Old August 18th, 2019, 9:50 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
Nice. I'd be curious why you don't just run a 12 volt TV. Many of today's flat screens use a power supply like a laptop, and are 12 volts. I found a 15" at a Goodwill for $15.

Just sayin'.
Because I just grabbed a spare one that I had laying around in my basement and it didn't have the 12 volt power supply like a laptop. We always try to camp at places that have at least electricity because of our 110 volt heater that we use, so the TV is not an inconvenience. If we ever camp at a place without electricity, we can find something else to do besides watch TV!!!! I will keep on the lookout for a cheap one with the 12 volt adapter so I can upgrade in the future. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: My 2001 Camper Conversion Van