Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Need help install backup camera

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on electrical

I have motorhome on 2006 Express chassis. I want to install a backup camera. I need to find an accessory power and a wire for the backup lights. I thought about tapping into one of the accessory powers on the dash, but they are both constantly hot, so the monitor will drain the battery with its phantom power. Is there an easy access to an accessory power source that runs of the ignition key? Also, I need to find the wire for the backup lights, because the system will automatically turn the monitor when it is put into reverse. Any ideas where it would be located? I bought the motorhome used and it came with what looks like a factor wiring harness. It has a 12 slot conection on one end and the other is a 3 slot. There is only three wire, one orange, one black, one blue/white and it is about 3 feet long. Any ideas on what it is for? It has some numbers on it and I search the internet, but found nothing. I really would apreciate some help.

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited by finerhomes; January 23rd, 2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 4:18 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Accessory power can be found at the bulkhead connector under the drivers side of the dash. colors are either brown or orange...both test as accessory
Reverse can be found either at the taillights, or at the BCM behind the knee bolster on the passenger side

pics of both wires below

Old January 23rd, 2009, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. The orange on the drivers side looks to be right. But the green on the passenger side is not. The red/white and blue/white are there, but there is not a green wire. Is there another location? Thanks again.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by finerhomes
Thanks for the reply. The orange on the drivers side looks to be right. But the green on the passenger side is not. The red/white and blue/white are there, but there is not a green wire. Is there another location? Thanks again.

I went back and tested the pin where the green should be. It has a constant 1.2 amp output, 14 amp when shifted in reverse. Could that be right? Or is that pin for something else?
Old January 24th, 2009, 8:23 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are talking about voltage rather than amperage then yes.
Being a motorhome, it may have been built slightly different. I wouldn't be able to tell you where to find the wire anywhere else other than at the taillights