Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

New Auxiliary Battery Box

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2019, 1:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by William Kisselstein
Re: for a '95 van -

I've seen a very few of the 95 and older with a second battery. IIRC a more rectangular battery (wider side-to-side and not as deep), it went on a tray in front of the heater box on the right side. I would guess a diesel has one standard, the diesel Suburban I had was factory dual battery. That might not be too too hard to find as they made a lot of G30 minibus conversions with the 6.5, and they carried over through 1996.

Alternately, I've seen conversions that had a built in ice cooler set in the floor behind the driver's seat. I would think it not hard to just drop a box through the floor that could be used as a battery compartment, while protecting it better than just bolting one to a tray. Of course on your 96-up it would have to go on the right side.
I found a few online. I also found some isolator relays. 5 inches of snow on the ground. It can wait. While I'm in the neighborhood the parking brake cable needs to be tightened.
Old January 15th, 2019, 2:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

There probably many variables, but an empty hole will break before a filled hole does.
It's the same principle as packing tubing with sand for bending.