Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

New Compressor need help!

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2015, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Compressor need help!

Hey Guys!

Im trying to help a friend with his 1999 chevy 3500 express van. The a/c compressor is shot. I went to the local auto parts store to pick up a new one with a new drier. I didnt notice until after I added oil and mounted the pump it was missing something the old one had. The old oem pump had a 2 prong plug on the butt end of the compressor. The new one doesnt. Also both the new and old compressor have a 2 prong plug right behind the belt pulley. I created a vacuum on the system then I started to add a can of 134a. It sucked it all in but the pump clutch didnt engage. So I added another and still nothing. So then I realized the 2 prong plug on the butt end of the compressor wasnt there. So I had to jump the wire since I had no place to plug it in anymore. Once I did that the a/c clutch engaged and works fine. So then I added the last can of refrigerant. My question is can I leave the pump jumped all the time since thats the only way it will run? The pump clutch will only shut off when the van is turned off or when the a/c switch on the dashboard is off or not on a/c. Will the pump get damaged if it runs all the time when the a/c is on and not cycling?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old May 17th, 2015, 9:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the second connector is a high pressure cut off switch. it should have green and green/white wires. maybe you got the wrong compressor or have to remove a plug and transfer the switch from the old compressor.

if the old compressor seized; source a screen to fit into the inlet fitting of the new compressor to stop any metal filings wrecking the new compressor. Dealers have a screen kit parts box to fit every gm compressor.
Old May 18th, 2015, 6:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tech2 for the response. The compressor looks exactly the same as the old one. However on the end butt of the compressor where the plug should be for the high pressure switch there is a flat metal cover held in by a snap ring. Is it possible I can remove that cover and install the plug from the old compressor? I never heard of that. Also what will happen if I just leave it jumped?
Old May 18th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

were there not instruction with the new compressor? usually, they have a guide for oil balancing and what to do if the switch needs replacing.

the switch is used to shut the system down if pressure gets to high; to prevent a blow out. if the pressure stays in the normal range the switch has no interaction with the system. So, how lucky do you feel?