Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

New to me Express 2500...Time to change oil! Help!

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2017, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to me Express 2500...Time to change oil! Help!

So, I checked the OM. It says nothing about must use Synth Oil. The guy that sold it to me said they followed the Om recommendations. So I am assuming using the 5-30 regular Valvoline oil for my 6.0, V8 in a 2008 Express 2500 would be ok? I have 60k miles on it. The reason asking is that all the vids I have watched on the oil changes are throwing in synthetic or a quart of it, for good measure I guess. Anyone have any advice?
Old January 15th, 2017, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2013 requires the new top level standard Dexos. most top brand oils are dexos rated now, but in case you are not sure check. GM now says you should use that dexos rated oil in all your gm vehicles old or new.
As I am always looking for a deal. I noticed that Wal Mart sells the Valvoline semi synthetic Maxx life oil. Its is the cheapest option for me, and it is Dexos rated. Also, the actual gm dexos oil you get at the dealer is semi synthetic, not full synthetic....so its a good match.
Old January 16th, 2017, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

General Motors vehicles built in 2011 and later, required the use of dexos™ licensed engine oil. My Express is 2008 so I guess I am good with Non Dexos. Looking to go with a blend if possible ...just dont want to cause leaks after using regular for 60K
Old January 16th, 2017, 5:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They did go on the say that you should run Dexos in all gm vehicles since its a better oil with a better base. However yes you could just run anything. I like high mileage oil because of the extra zddp which is an antiwear additive. Quaker state Defy, and Maxx Life from Valvoline are semi synthetic high mileage oils. You will have to shop around. Check out bobistheoilguy website too......
Old January 16th, 2017, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Ok Thanks
Old January 17th, 2017, 11:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm using whatever brand is on sale in Autozone, but always Full Synthetic only. Filter is whatever cheap filter. Change every 10k miles. Have over 320k on my van.
Old January 18th, 2017, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Wish I could go full Synth but with 60k and a 2008 I am worried about causing leaks..May try the Max Life Blend from Valvoline though.
Old January 19th, 2017, 6:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMBUS
Wish I could go full Synth but with 60k and a 2008 I am worried about causing leaks..May try the Max Life Blend from Valvoline though.
You will not cause any leaks at 60k. Run whatever oil floats your boat... it really doesn't matter as long as its the correct viscosity. . Only exception would be High mileage oils. They are for engines that are worn out and you want to buy some time.

What IS important is you change it on the proper schedule

This about sums it up...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdzbRMy0sYU

Last edited by greenfire; January 19th, 2017 at 7:11 PM.
Old January 19th, 2017, 7:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using Peak full synthetic oil for years. Didn't even realize it is Dexos until now. Anywho, we use it in all of our trucks/equipment and buy several cases a year on Amazon. Its priced right.

5w 30 Full Synthetic Dexos 1 Motor oil
Old January 19th, 2017, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you..