Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

no instrument panel lights, '97 van

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2016, 12:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no instrument panel lights, '97 van

The only working lights on the dashboard are the radio/clock and transmission gear indicator. None on the panel for speedometer, fuel, voltage, temperature, oil pressure.
I replaced the headlamp switch module, that includes the dome light and instrument lighting rheostat. All the inside fuses check good, the two in the engine compartment fuse and relay box: BATT and ILLUM both check good.
Since all the panel lights failed at one time, I suspected a fuse, since they're good I replaced the switch. I think there are individual bulbs for the panel gauges; doubtful they'd all fail at once.
What's next to check?
'97 Express 1500 van.
Old June 21st, 2016, 6:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the harness that plugs into the panel. It could have a fault, or a loose connection on the circuit board. May require a bit of solder.
Old June 30th, 2016, 6:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news is if I am correct and I may bee wrong you have no dash lights as the clock station display and gear indicator are LCD. so you issue may be a fuse as stated earlier of a wiring problem likely not to difficult to find.
Old July 22nd, 2016, 11:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Default OK now...

I checked all fuses under the hood and under the dash. I removed the instrument cluster, saw nothing wrong and reinstalled it. I replaced the headlight switch. That was several weeks ago, and nothing seemed to help. I drove at night for the first time in over a month last night and had instrument lights! Not when I first turned on the headlights. But, I thought I may as well take a few seconds to see what happens and rotated the brightness control for the panel and the lights came on. They didn't seem to vary in intensity, they were either on or off, so I left them full on. How nice to have them working again. I'd been relying on my GPS for speed indicator when driving at night.
Old July 25th, 2016, 7:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wgander
The only working lights on the dashboard are the radio/clock and transmission gear indicator. None on the panel for speedometer, fuel, voltage, temperature, oil pressure.
I replaced the headlamp switch module, that includes the dome light and instrument lighting rheostat. All the inside fuses check good, the two in the engine compartment fuse and relay box: BATT and ILLUM both check good.
Since all the panel lights failed at one time, I suspected a fuse, since they're good I replaced the switch. I think there are individual bulbs for the panel gauges; doubtful they'd all fail at once.
What's next to check?
'97 Express 1500 van.

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and would like to offer our assistance. Check out this link for our diagnostics service: Gauge Cluster, Speedometer, Lexus SC300 SC400 ECU Diagnosis Repair Service

Feel free to call us with any questions. We can't diagnose without having a cluster here in front of us but if you know what needs to be fixed, we also sell replacement parts for the DIY repair!

Hope this all helps and we do look forward to talking with you at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,