Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   No Warranty on anything "Glass" related??? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/no-warranty-anything-glass-related-93724/)

StanVan January 2nd, 2019 3:34 PM

No Warranty on anything "Glass" related???

I'm hoping Chevy Customer Service will read this. My '16 Express has the rubber gasket on the windshield tearing at the top pass. side corner. I've had many Chevy's over the years, putting 150k to 200k on them without this type of thing happening. The dealer said that there is absolutely no warranty on anything glass related. I find this disturbing, at best.

I'd like someone to explain this to me. How can a "bumper to bumper" warranty not cover this?

tsoleno January 2nd, 2019 4:18 PM

They should cover it if there is no sign of outer abrasion I'd think. If you talked to the normal service counter guy, have a visit with the body shop manager. Up chain as needed.

mountainmanjoe January 2nd, 2019 4:53 PM

Does GM usually read forums? I think you'll have better luck contacting them directly.
What does the fine print on the warranty say?

You should show us a pic of your problem.

StanVan January 2nd, 2019 5:46 PM

Chevy Customer Service has been in here before. It may take a day or so,but I don't see why not now.

mountainmanjoe January 2nd, 2019 6:43 PM

I guess they do.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service (Post 281170)
... If you would like to file a formal dealership complaint, please send us a private message with your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and name of dealership ...
Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

I would still call or write them. It's much easier to blow someone off on the internet.

William Kisselstein January 4th, 2019 4:46 PM

Nice to see they've never really resolved that windshield gasket issue. Both of my 2002s have that problem. It only spreads a little bit and seems to settle with perhaps 2 inches sticking up, if you don't like it how that looks maybe some epoxy or rubber cement would hold it down. The gasket must shrink a little once installed and that's where it pulls up.

StanVan January 4th, 2019 5:14 PM

I'd be happy with that, as long as it never leaks.

dberladyn January 13th, 2019 11:55 AM

Your post prompted me to check both of mine. They are fine. A touch rounded, I assume from being 'pulled' during some natural form of shrinkage, but they both look the same on each side. If they tore I would be upset too.

StanVan January 13th, 2019 5:05 PM

Oh, I'm pissed, but I can't hold Chevy responsible. Apparently, it's not the original glass. So there's one more item that wasn't on the Carf&*k.

mountainmanjoe January 14th, 2019 3:17 AM

Vehicle reports only contain insurance claims. Most repairs go under the radar.

William Kisselstein January 14th, 2019 4:54 AM

No sign of these ever leaking there. Both have leaks from other things done to them, but the front has always been dry.

The windshield is glued on with urethane, the gasket around it is more or less just a trim piece. Absolute worst case you could cut it diagonally through the corner and then it should lay down even if it's shrunk enough to no longer fit correctly.

mountainmanjoe January 14th, 2019 2:22 PM

I still don't understand what you guys are talking about. Can anybody post a photo?

William Kisselstein January 14th, 2019 3:17 PM

I believe he means the rubber gasket around the windshield has pulled up at the top right corner and a bit of it is loose.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/chevrol...20f5616e6a.jpg
corner of gasket

StanVan January 14th, 2019 4:24 PM

Exactly. Currently, mine is under about 8 inches of snow.

mountainmanjoe January 15th, 2019 2:54 AM

Oh that. It's a cosmetic piece.

The windshield sealing gasket is sandwiched between the glass and the metal body, and it's a thick, black, gooey caulk-like substance.

Kazoocruiser January 15th, 2019 12:31 PM

Go metric, every inch of the way!

Something tells me I wouldn't like the results if I asked you to work on my 1981 Harley-Davidson. That machine requires imperial wrenches. Different.

There sure are a lot of lean-ins with regards to a possible glass claim. I might as well offer mine.

Warranties have limits Bummer warranties are no better. Those are the ones where after you hear a "no" from someone, you go "bummer."

/start vent/ Some sort of altercation resulted in both my front windows being broken by slung pieces of broken spark-plug insulator. The repair costs for that stunt damage had to be paid, but the criminal was no where to be found. If you have comprehensive on your insurance policy, maybe you can find cost replacement there, in the fine print. It might exclude non-criminal activity to exclude accidental breakage. Na-one wants to be responsible for that. That would make anyone go "bummer."
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/chevrol...c6037aaaa4.jpg
The locksmith was having a bad day.

loopedr1 January 15th, 2019 3:38 PM

judging by the picture of the Blue car someone was prying between the door and the 1/4 glass to gain entry.....as far as the windshield molding on the express van the molding is metal core ....the metal core and the rubber exterior expand and contract at different rates causing it to split or tear at the corners.. you can get an aftermarket market thats not metal core...thats what i install on all my express windshield replacements......

StanVan January 15th, 2019 9:11 PM

I'll keep that in mind. I'm hoping Joe is right, and that it's cosmetic.

tbb2 June 17th, 2019 3:31 PM

windshield trim pulling loose

I noticed the trim across the top of the windshield was pulling out.
I got up to take a closer look and find it is loose 2/3s of the way across the top, ready to tear on the passenger side top corner, and 2/3s the way down the driver's side.
It seems it has nothing to do with waterproofing and maybe just a cover over the gap between the glass and body.

Why Chevy is so concerned about having a gap around the glass, that can be blown out with hose I do not know.
Chevy isn't concerned about all the leaf debris that goes into the vent and builds up above wheel well ... or I assume that is how those leave got in there.
Should I mention the drain getting clogged and flooding to the inside passenger side, that I have yet to find access to clear.

So ... what has been tried to put the trim back in place?
I'm thinking silicone.

Beau Oszman June 17th, 2019 4:36 PM

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe (Post 369096)
Vehicle reports only contain insurance claims. Most repairs go under the radar.

Oh, the pile of receipts I keep in every vehicle for the next owner. Get excited any time I find some in a "new" purchase myself. Sometimes it's a let down after seeing the same mistakes made multiple times. Eg. Computer temp sensor tied into dash and aftermarket installed in dash instead of stock.

tbb2 June 18th, 2019 2:01 PM

windshield trim pulling loose - what adhesive?

Having gotten up and attempted a couple solvents on the adhesive in the windshield trim groove,
I'm wondering if this trim was applied before the windshield was set with the same urethane (?) adhesive.
The adhesive remaining on the trim piece is very sparse ... maybe that is why it has come loose ... and non-existent on the glass.

I'm now thinking silicone is not the best idea for this application where is will be baked by the sun.

Is urethane over the old adhesive the way to go?
Have you used other adhesives to good effect?

ChevyVanMan June 18th, 2019 8:04 PM

60k mile warranty, call GM Directly and find another dealer.
Thank you
Ken