Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Outside Air Temp option?

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2015, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outside Air Temp option?

Hi, I have a 2012 1500 AWD Express Passenger Van. I do not have an outside air temp /ambient air temp display in my dash, where is shows there could be one in the owner's manual. I believe this was an available option, (I purchased the van used, about 9 months ago, and have never had the display, so I don't know if it is not working, or was never included on my van). I have located what I believe is the the Ambient Air Temp sensor behind the front bumper, but I do not know if I can replace or upgrade this and be able to have the temp readout displayed? Would it be a simple swap with a different sensor, or would I need to have the dealer flash the comp/modules? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old December 7th, 2015, 8:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the ambient air temp sensor is located on the rad support bracket, not sure if it can be added or programmed in.
post a pic and i'll tell you if have located the right part.
Old December 8th, 2015, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a pic from reaching up behind the front bumper, drivers side.

Old December 12th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

pretty sure the temp sensor is a one wire connector. how many pins in that connector and what are the wire colours?

Last edited by tech2; December 13th, 2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old December 13th, 2015, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tech2
pretty sure the temp sensor is a one wire connector. how many pins in that connector and what are the wire colours?
checked and it should have 2 wires
1 dark green and white
1 yellow
Old December 13th, 2015, 10:18 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes. The above is correct. I should get the schematic for you, but from my memory one is either ground(-) or positive(+), the other runs all the way back directly into the instrument panel. You likely need the BCM to be programmed to tell the DIC to display the variable.
Old January 1st, 2016, 10:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if CactusVan got his problem solved, but does anyone know of a after market outside air display and sensor that can be mounted in a Express?
Old January 2nd, 2016, 3:18 AM
CF Pro Member

you could buy a sensor and a mirror from just about any GM vehicle and mount them. Wiring is actually easy you just need a schematic and then actually install it.
Old August 1st, 2021, 7:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dberladyn
you could buy a sensor and a mirror from just about any GM vehicle and mount them. Wiring is actually easy you just need a schematic and then actually install it.
according to electrical schematic both wires go to the instrument cluster.......yellow is ground on pin11 and green and white is signal pin 10
Old August 3rd, 2021, 9:52 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Edward Andriaccio
according to electrical schematic both wires go to the instrument cluster.......yellow is ground on pin11 and green and white is signal pin 10
Yes, but you also MAY need to have your computer programmed for that to work. I simply gave an alternative option. Plug a Temperature Sensor in and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Outside Air Temp option?