Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Outside temp display?

Old October 22nd, 2018, 4:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I just read the O/M for the '16, and no, it cannot be enabled.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 1:10 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I bet you that this is a Computer Program Issue. I have the Temperature, but no Compass in my DIC. I bought a compass module and the actual factory wire to run, just as the factory did, plugging it all together. If I recall right, half of my wiring was already there, I just had to add one or two wires to a harness. Completing that, I took the truck to the dealership to have the compass enabled. They spent all day on it. It had nothing to do with them, nothing to do with what I had done, it all had to do with GM Head Quarters not allowing them to re-flash the computer. They would not do it. I could have had the compass if I would have accepted having the computer flashed with software written for trucks meant to be sold and driven in the United States. However it changed something for my Canadian model. I would have gained the Compass and lost some other function, I forget what it was. Seems to me that it had to something to do with the Driving Lights. I probably should have done it because it appears you all have driving lights anyways. Maybe it was some other option I was to lose out on if I had it re-flashed that way. I forget.

I bet you that it will be the same thing with your Temperature Display. You will have to go to the dealership and have the truck flashed to a different build.

Last edited by dberladyn; October 23rd, 2018 at 1:12 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 8:43 AM
CF Veteran

So what I do is to run an OBD2 Bluetooth device, feeding a cheap Android tablet running the Torque app. One of the gauges I chose was "Ambient Temperature". I don't run it all the time, because it can be a PITA to keep running if I have 4 or 5 stops in an outing. But I do use it on road trips.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 9:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I looked at my van last night, and I can confirm what StanVan said about not being able to enable/disable the outside temperature via the DIC... Curiosity got the best of me, and I remembered when I was researching vans that the outside temp was an "option." So I went to the Chevrolet Build & Price website, and even on a 2019, outside temp is an option! Why this isn't standard equipment is beyond my comprehension... especially for the $10 up-charge. I'm sure if you can figure out where to plug in the wires, you'll have an outside temp display.

Last edited by GatorHawk24; October 23rd, 2018 at 9:45 AM. Reason: Picture didn't load correctly.
Old October 23rd, 2018, 12:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorHawk24
I looked at my van last night, and I can confirm what StanVan said about not being able to enable/disable the outside temperature via the DIC... Curiosity got the best of me, and I remembered when I was researching vans that the outside temp was an "option." So I went to the Chevrolet Build & Price website, and even on a 2019, outside temp is an option! Why this isn't standard equipment is beyond my comprehension... especially for the $10 up-charge. I'm sure if you can figure out where to plug in the wires, you'll have an outside temp display.

The weird part is that it has the sensor install from factory. I don't know if the other end is plug in. I will check when I get home if I have any type of voltage coming from the plug.
Old October 24th, 2018, 2:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm, maybe dberladyn is on to something with the computer re-flash... which makes the $10 up-charge even more ridiculous...
Old October 24th, 2018, 2:50 PM
CF Veteran

And that means we won't get it if GM won't allow the flash.
Old October 25th, 2018, 10:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
So what I do is to run an OBD2 Bluetooth device, feeding a cheap Android tablet running the Torque app. One of the gauges I chose was "Ambient Temperature". I don't run it all the time, because it can be a PITA to keep running if I have 4 or 5 stops in an outing. But I do use it on road trips.
I used Torque last night and the ambient temperature and intake temperature was exactly the same. I didn't have it running that long maybe a 30seconds. I wonder if its using the same sensor. I still haven't received my ambient sensor from Walmart.
Old October 25th, 2018, 4:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silent_20
I used Torque last night and the ambient temperature and intake temperature was exactly the same. I didn't have it running that long maybe a 30seconds. I wonder if its using the same sensor. I still haven't received my ambient sensor from Walmart.
Hi, here is my Torque display from today (2008 Express 1500 4.3l, 225K), the Air Temp and Intake are different, so it must have 2 sensors. I think my outside temp sensor is below the radiator somewhere, and assuming the Intake Air temp is on the intake ducting somewhere.

Old October 25th, 2018, 4:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Twscarp
Hi, here is my Torque display from today (2008 Express 1500 4.3l, 225K), the Air Temp and Intake are different, so it must have 2 sensors. I think my outside temp sensor is below the radiator somewhere, and assuming the Intake Air temp is on the intake ducting somewhere.

Does your van display the ambient temperature on the DIC?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Outside temp display?