Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Outside temp display?

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2018, 1:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by Twscarp
Hi, I couldn't find a replacement sensor on my 4.3l, so I'm thinking the Intake Temperature Sensor is part of the MAF sensor.
I think you are right.
https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm...-temp-sensor-1

However, I was referring to the "Air Temp" sensor. On the Astro/Safaris they put them down low in front of the radiator.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; November 14th, 2018 at 1:20 PM.
Old November 17th, 2018, 3:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my van to the dealer so that could do the window recall. While there I asked if my van was supposed to display the outside temperature. He said he would have a mechanic take a look at for free. I left my van there so they could work on it the following day. I got a call this morning they finish with the recalls, one for the window switch and the other for a shackle bolt. He also said the regular mechanic couldn't find the sensor for the outside temperature, but he looked up my vin number and he said that I don't have a basic Express and that I should have had the temperature display, and if I wanted he could have his mechanic that works with electronics look at it but it would be $65. That mechanic wasn't in today so even if I wanted done it would had to be done another day. I thought I had the sensor bellow the driver side headlight. I'll post a picture of it when I get a chance.
Old November 17th, 2018, 3:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by silent_20
they finish with the recalls, one for the window switch and the other for a shackle bolt.
What are the recalls for? What years are affected?
Old November 17th, 2018, 3:57 PM
CF Junior Member

https://my.gm.com/recalls/ I enter my VIN and it showed this, no mention about the shackle bolt. But they said they replaced it. I have a 2015 2500LT Express Pass regular wheel base converted for ridesharing

GM Recall #:
  • N172086770
[left]
  • NHTSA #
  • 18V295
  • Date Issued:
  • May 03, 2018
Recall Title:

Driver Side Window Switch Inoperative

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2014 – 2017 Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vehicles (built through 6/21/16 and 6/17/16 respectively) equipped with power windows. Under certain conditions, liquid can enter the power window switches in these vehicles and cause corrosion, leading to high electrical resistance. High electrical resistance can cause the switch to heat up, smoke or melt, increasing the risk of fire and injury. Occupants may notice that the power window is malfunctioning or inoperative. Smoke or an odor from smoke or melting may also come from the door panel.

Safety Risk Description:

A short circuit in these switches can cause the switch to heat up, smoke or melt. Over time, under rare circumstances, the switch can catch fire while the vehicle is on or up to ten minutes after the vehicle is shut off before the driver exits the vehicle, increasing the risk of injury to the driver or passengers.

Repair Description:

Replace driver side door window switch.

I found the other recall by using goolge

#31170-01: Service Update Bulletin – Rear Suspension Shackle Bolt Contacts HVAC Line – (Jan 17, 2017)

Subject:
31170–01 — Rear Suspension Shackle Bolt Contacts HVAC Line

Models:
2015–2016 Chevrolet Express
2015–2016 GMC Savana

Reference Number:
N16203117
Release Date:
January 2017

Revision:
Revision Description: This bulletin is being revised to update the labor times within the
Warranty Information section. Please discard all previous copies of bulletin 31170.

Attention:
This service update includes vehicles in dealer inventory and customer vehicles that return to the dealership for any reason. This bulletin will expire at the end of the involved vehicle’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty period.

Make

Model

Model Year

RPO

Description

From

To

Chevrolet Express 2015 2016 C36 Auxiliary Heater
GMC Savana 2015 2016 C69 HVAC System Rr-Air Conditioner

Involved vehicles are marked “open” on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. This site should always be checked to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs.

Condition
Certain 2015 and 2016 model year Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vehicles, equipped with HVAC system rear – air conditioner (RPO C69) or auxiliary heater (RPO C36), may have contact between the rear leaf spring shackle bolt and rear HVAC coolant lines that may rub through creating a coolant leak. This leak may cause the engine to overheat, leading to loss of propulsion or loss of HVAC performance.

Correction
Replace the shackle bolt. Inspect and, if necessary, replace the auxiliary heater hose.

Last edited by silent_20; November 17th, 2018 at 4:33 PM. Reason: Found other recall
Old November 17th, 2018, 5:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's one for my 2016;
  • GM Recall #:
  • N182165790
  • NHTSA #
  • 18V655
  • Date Issued:
  • Sep 21, 2018
Recall Title:Rear HVAC Controller FireRecall Description:General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2016 - 2018 Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vehicles equipped with a single manual rear climate control module (CCM) located in the roof console. In some cases, when the temperature is set to maximum heat or the mode **** is set to maximum floor vent and a short-to-ground condition occurs, the short may allow excessive current to flow through the controls’ potentiometers and they may overheat. If this condition occurs, the terminal insulation on the CCM’s potentiometers can catch fire.Safety Risk Description: If this condition occurs, a fire may develop in the headliner.Repair Description: Dealers will remove the electrical insulation from the potentiometer wiring connectors free of charge.

Old November 25th, 2018, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

ive looked thru the upfitter manual and I cant locate where the temp sensor and compass module connect. Is it to the BCM or the DIC?
Old November 25th, 2018, 6:03 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

From my memory, the Compass goes to the BCM. The Temp Sensor likely goes to the BCM. The BCM sends a digital signal to the DIC telling it what to display. This is why you will need the Dealership to Flash the BCM if you want those items to display on the DIC.
Old December 1st, 2018, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default hey dberladyn

Where brand of rear view mirror is that in your pic from earlier post?.
Old December 1st, 2018, 2:28 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My rearview mirror is my Factory rearview mirror. I like the shape the best. I have autodim and the camera in mine. I have been planning on selling it if anyone wants it. I am not sure which picture you are talking about. I think I had posted Rostra or Gentex mirrors earlier on. Sometimes I want that fully loaded Gentex Mirror. It is hard to find and it's expensive. The one I am speaking of comes with: Autodim, Rear Camera, Compass, Temperature and Onstar (or what I would prefer Homelink).

I think I am going to place one, two or three 4 to 6 LCD Panels mounted in a row as opposed to having a mirror. Just rough plans I have.

Last edited by dberladyn; December 1st, 2018 at 2:30 PM.
Old December 1st, 2018, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

the pic im talking about does not have on star... im looking for one with camera, compass, and outside temp

Quick Reply: Outside temp display?