Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

P300 misfire code. Need expert help!

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2019, 5:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if it won't misfire when floored or shortly thereafter...its probably not cats...that is when the backpressure is highest.
p0300 random misfire...."random" means it can't identify which cylinder is misfiring not an intermittent condition. ...but if you go into misfire data...the offending cylinder counter stores it.

Last edited by tech2; January 27th, 2019 at 5:28 PM.
Old January 27th, 2019, 6:00 PM
Super Moderator

check to see if the tcc is coming out or into full lockup when the dtc sets. typically...the monitor is pretty smart and usually won't set due to a tcc shudder.
Old January 27th, 2019, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
check to see if the tcc is coming out or into full lockup when the dtc sets. typically...the monitor is pretty smart and usually won't set due to a tcc shudder.
is that the torque converter?
Old January 27th, 2019, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

if it won't misfire when floored or shortly thereafter...its probably not cats...that is when the backpressure is highest.
p0300 random misfire...."random" means it can't identify which cylinder is misfiring not an intermittent condition. ...but if you go into misfire data...the offending cylinder counter stores it.
The counter is always the same on the misfiring cylinders. 4 are at 0 misfires. The other 4 show misfires to different severity. I knocked the cats today and there was no rattling. They seem intact.

I'm leaning towards bad injectors...

I was going to run an injector cleaner through the tank and monitor my fuel trims.
Old January 27th, 2019, 7:25 PM
Super Moderator

haven't replaced many injectors on chevy's... they are usually pretty good....if its not misfiring under full load, I doubt its injectors. Wot is when the fuel demand is highest....the fuel trim would be adding to it adaptive limit 30%. Lean misfire would show lower post cat 02 voltage readings. ignition misfire would should high post 02 voltage reading.

gm has an active fuel injection tester that measures injector balance. injector cleaner through the tank won't do much if anything for a plugged injector.
Old January 29th, 2019, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

haven't replaced many injectors on chevy's... they are usually pretty good....if its not misfiring under full load, I doubt its injectors. Wot is when the fuel demand is highest....the fuel trim would be adding to it adaptive limit 30%. Lean misfire would show lower post cat 02 voltage readings. ignition misfire would should high post 02 voltage reading.

gm has an active fuel injection tester that measures injector balance. injector cleaner through the tank won't do much if anything for a plugged injector.
Thank you for the advice. I won't have a chance to do much troubleshooting until the weekend. Where is the next logical place I should look for issues? I can pull 02 readings and other variables with my scanner to narrow things down if that is helpful?
Old January 29th, 2019, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

I didn't check the fuel trims at full throttle, just misfires. I'm guessing this information might be helpful as well.
Old January 29th, 2019, 7:31 PM
Super Moderator

fuel trim is only relevant when the engine is not misfiring...so if its not misfiring at wot you might get a clue
Old February 23rd, 2019, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Ok. So I just swapped injectors from one of the misfiring cylinders to the good one. No change.

Could a leaking intake manifold gasket be the culprit?

To recap: the misfires occur on the same 4 of 8 cylinders at highway speeds, or revving above 2000 rpm in park.
There is no misfires at idle and no difference when spraying carb cleaner around the intake.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Did you eliminate all the causes in the link for P0300 I posted?

Quick Reply: P300 misfire code. Need expert help!