Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Paint issues?

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2018, 10:04 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
Now that we've established that this is a thing, why aren't I seeing them? I live in the third largest area in the U.S. (Washington D.C.) and I'm sooo guilty of car watchin'. Couple that with the thing where you always notice a make/model you either want as your next vehicle, or you already own one. If there are many of them out there, Why aren't I seeing them?

I think the paint peeling is especially a problem in the south. We live in southern Alabama, and we were very reluctant to buy a white van for this reason. There are probably 20-30 vans in our area that have significant amounts of paint missing on their hood, roof, and other body panels (they are really popular around here with contractors, churches, etc). We also had friends who lived in NY, with their Express, before moving to our area; within a couple years, their paint started peeling. Since we weren't in love with white when we bought our van (not just because of the peeling paint), I see it as an opportunity to get the color we want when the van starts to look ugly.
Old September 11th, 2018, 12:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a huge issue in the west, I'm convinced the heavy sun states are where it's the worst.You almost can't find a white van out here that is more than 8yrs old that isn't missing huge areas of paint.

Last edited by LCAC_Man; September 11th, 2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old February 24th, 2019, 1:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I just came across these topics
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...ing-off-69815/
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...e2/#post371125

I have the exact same paint peeling issue underneath the gutters (2013). I've stripped down my vehicle and have seen how they build things now. It's not pretty. Having seen and experienced how customers are treated, I'm done. FUNK you GM. I won't buy another, and I'm steering others away.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; February 24th, 2019 at 1:22 AM.
Old June 16th, 2019, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I now have 2 Express vans and the paint is coming off on all sides now. It started on the hood first but now it is coming off all the sides.

I also believe is has something to do with living in a state with lots of sun and humidity.(Louisiana).

As I drive around town most days, I see anywhere form 2 to 15 vans each day with the same paint problem.
Old June 16th, 2019, 8:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed, might be the humidity/sun exposure. Also notice it on Chevy models here in Florida. My beast only has cancer near the gutters and below the gas flap, no flakes/peels at all. Don't know paint treatment history as I am the umpteenth owner probably ('93 hightop).
Old June 19th, 2019, 11:40 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw one yesterday, he was oncoming at an intersection. Chunks of the hood missing. I am glad I sold my white 2015. Mind you, Black is showing the marks left by every a$$-hole my van meets in a parking lot.
Old June 19th, 2019, 6:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

At this point, I don't think this will happen to mine. Unbeknownst to me, and unreported by CarFax, my van was in an accident that involved from the side doors to the windshield. It surely had to have been repainted.
Old June 19th, 2019, 6:57 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Unknown to me.. that is now four hood ding I just counted. Previously I know of one, from a large scratch. I think I dropped something on it when I was in a bad mood and nothing was going right, but the rest... how do you ding a hood?

I tell you the bugs must be bigger on the highway than I thought.
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:02 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

VW Bug?
Old June 25th, 2019, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A rock thrown off a truck could do that.

But as a motorcyclist, bugs can sting at 35 mph, and even more at highway speeds.

Quick Reply: Paint issues?