Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Washer fluid in Coolant

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2018, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washer fluid in Coolant

A family member called me in a panic saying that they added washer fluid to the coolant bottle. I still don't know how much was added. For this scenario, how bad is it if a gallon of washer fluid was added to the coolant bottle of a 2007 Express? They stated that it was empty before they started. I found a couple of generic forums stating that it will burn off and shouldn't be a big deal. Others say to take it out with a baster. I am looking for some confirmation either way.
Old January 24th, 2018, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't know for sure, but basters are cheap at a dollar store (so you don't anger the chef). And I'm not familiar with an '07, but my '16 isn't near a gallon for the coolant. And if you do suck it out, I wouldn't try and use it. I don't know what coolant will do in cleaning a windshield.
Old January 24th, 2018, 3:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by savo
A family member called me in a panic saying that they added washer fluid to the coolant bottle. I still don't know how much was added. For this scenario, how bad is it if a gallon of washer fluid was added to the coolant bottle of a 2007 Express? They stated that it was empty before they started. I found a couple of generic forums stating that it will burn off and shouldn't be a big deal. Others say to take it out with a baster. I am looking for some confirmation either way.
I'd drain it. Reason being, I don't know how much it could have diluted the rest of the anti-freeze.
Old January 24th, 2018, 8:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If its in the coolant bottle, how much driving have they done since? If none, just drain.....if lots then some of it has been sucked into the rad.....you could drain the rad, or do a coolant flush......but it depends on how much has gone in if any.....
Most likely it will be fine.....
Old January 25th, 2018, 5:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. They had not driven it. The were able to to drain the coolant bottle. They called a garage that they were planning on getting a state inspection.
They were told they same that was echoed here. Drain it.
They did so and brought the van in for inspection.

I don't know what else the mechanic did.
Old January 29th, 2018, 6:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A gallon !! You must have a leak in your coolant somewhere for them to add a gallon of anything.
Old January 29th, 2018, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At the cool mark, the surge tank is almost empty. It would take almost a gallon to fill it.
Old January 30th, 2018, 4:50 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's unlikely that the washer fluid will do any damage other than increasing the freezing point of the coolant some. Also, mixing between the recovery tank and the rest of the system is a rather slow process as the fluid from the overflow tank only gets drawn in to mix with the coolant in the radiator, hoses, engine, etc when the car cools off after being driven and the first stuff drawn back will probably be mostly normal coolant pushed into the recovery tank when the car heated up.

I'd recommend sooner rather than later siphoning all the stuff out of the coolant tank -- or simply removing and draining the coolant tank if that's easier. Don't worry too much about the liquid in the tank. It's toxic, but it's biodegradable. If you spill some, dilute it with a lot of water and forget it.

Refill the overflow tank to the bottom ("COLD") line with an appropriate antifreeze.

If you live someplace where it gets REALLY cold, you might want to check your coolant at the radiator cap with a hygrometer just to make sure that you haven't unduly compromised your freeze protection.