Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Passenger floor water leak - '96 express

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2016, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbb2
I'm glad someone did the leg work on this.

Can you or someone clarify some points.
- I can not think of another coolant tank but you do mean the radiator coolant right?
- The rectangular hole you forced water thru - is it the one under the cowl or the one under the coolant tank?
- Does the coolant tank have to be removed to access the rubber outlet door to remove dirt or would the forced water from above, if it is indeed from above, not blow it out? I suspect there would be some flooding in the passenger cabin until the blockage is flushed out but would be hoping the overflow is not as direct a route as the "drain" is supposed to be.

Your repose greatly appreciated ...
... I have the habit of parking and driving outside.
This is a blast from the past. It's been so long I honestly can't remember everything I did but haven't had a problem since. I believe I first tried to remove any debris from the drain side (covered by the rubber door) that was under the coolant tank. If I recall it was a bit of reach (maybe I got under the van?). I think the problem was the rubber door itself holding pine needles and stuff. I thought about removing the rubber flap to avoid future blockage, but then I'd assume air from around the engine would pour into the cabin.

I then ran the hose down through the rectangular hole under the cowl and down to the drain to clear any remaining debris - and yes, be sure it is draining and not backing up and flooding the cabin through the AC components.
Old May 24th, 2016, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbb2
I'm glad someone did the leg work on this.

Can you or someone clarify some points.
- I can not think of another coolant tank but you do mean the radiator coolant right?
- The rectangular hole you forced water thru - is it the one under the cowl or the one under the coolant tank?
- Does the coolant tank have to be removed to access the rubber outlet door to remove dirt or would the forced water from above, if it is indeed from above, not blow it out? I suspect there would be some flooding in the passenger cabin until the blockage is flushed out but would be hoping the overflow is not as direct a route as the "drain" is supposed to be.

Your repose greatly appreciated ...
... I have the habit of parking and driving outside.
This is a blast from the past. It's been so long I honestly can't remember everything I did but haven't had a problem since. I believe I first tried to remove any debris from the drain side (covered by the rubber door) that was under the coolant tank. If I recall it was a bit of reach (maybe I got under the van?). I think the problem was the rubber door itself holding pine needles and stuff. I thought about removing the rubber flap to avoid future blockage, but then I'd assume air from around the engine would pour into the cabin.

I then ran the hose down through the rectangular hole under the cowl and down to the drain to clear any remaining debris - and yes, be sure it is draining and not backing up and flooding the cabin through the AC components.
Old May 26th, 2016, 1:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the message back.

The cowl on my 2003 is not held on just by screws. Maybe it isn't the same as your 1996.
It has something under the far left, where the cowl wraps the corner of the windshield, holding it down and that can not be seen much less reached.

Looks like another Chevy profit center. Try and remove it without the secret password and end up buying a $100 piece of plastic .

Any clue on how to unfasten the far left side?
Old June 22nd, 2017, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Express and Savana wiper gutter drain

There is a twisty, turning plastic drain tube below the wipers. Just before the A/C heater blower motor, there is a metal dam about 1" high. Water is supposed to drop thru a hole in the floor of the gutter just in front of the dam and go down the drain tube
Air goes over the dam. Unfortunately, the drain tube twists and turns then narrows at the end, where leaves, acorns and other debris will clog it. Only one way to fix, jack the van up, take off the front right tyre, securely block the frame then reach behind the rubber flap that covers the top of the wheel well. About 2" forward of the axle and 2" above the metal lip of the inner wheel frame, reach around until you find the plastic drain tube. Your fingers will find all the leaves and dirt. Then take a straightened coat hanger and work it into the tube while your assistant slowly pours water into the grate next to the windshield wiper. Keep flushing and working the coat hanger until you get rid of all the dirt, mud, debris, bugs, pine needles and acorns.