Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Perplexed

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2007, 12:28 PM
Professional Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perplexed

I have a 2003 Express 3500 that has a bit of a funky problem. When starting out in the morning after sitting all night the van starts right up and dies about 10 to 15 miles down the road. Let it sit for a bit and try to restart and it starts right up.... sometimes it runs for a few seconds and dies or it keeps running. Once this happens and I get it running again I can't reproduce the problem. The van pretty much runs normal after that.
When the van dies it just stops running and you lose power steering and all that. It doesn't seem to putter out.
I had a new fuel pump installed 5,000 miles ago along with corroded wires from the sending unit and pump. If it was the pump it wouldn't start and if it was a loose wire it would be more random.... bad sensor of some kind?
Is there any common stalling problems on the express vans?

Thanks for your time
Old June 1st, 2007, 4:39 PM
Professional Mechanic

Default RE: Perplexed

Well I got the problem to recreate this afternoon. Had my scanner and fuel pressure gauge hooked up and found the problem.
Turns out I got a bad fuel pump (new in April of 07) put on recently. Still under warranty so, it will be replaced for free.

Thanks
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: Perplexed

Glad you got it sorted out ... just goes to showyou can't trust new parts.