Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Power steering fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2016, 6:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering fluid leak

I have a power steering fluid leak where my master cylinder attaches to the device on the firewall. I thought it was a brake fluid issue but thats not it. Removing the cylinder doesn't show me anything. I can't find a schematic on the net of the device that the cylinder is bolted to. Suggestions anyone.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have the hydroboost system are you sure its not the lines coming up from the pump? They are bad for leaking. I had a small leak, so I switched to lucas stop leak, and it did eventually help after a few months of topping up.

Does this link help?

How To: Hydroboost Rebuild / Leak Fix - Discussion - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Old August 2nd, 2016, 5:39 AM
CF Junior Member

After viewing the link, that is exactly the device I was referring to. I will explore getting a rebuild kit. Thanks.
Old August 17th, 2016, 8:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Hydrobooster Install

Thanks for the info in your post. I went with a rebuilt unit from Autoparts warehouse. Pricey, but just went with my instincts. Install was reasonably easy. FYI, If anyone reading this finds it necessary to replace their Hydro booster, be advised that all are not alike for the 2007 2500 4.8 engine. I went to Advance Auto to purchase a new but only rebuilt units were available. There was 3 listed for my vehicle. One in particular had an interesting footnote attached to the description concerning the rod which attaches to the brake pedal. It referred to a Rod code. The counter person printed out the listing for all three. I I disconnected the rod from the pedal and sure enough the Rod code number referred to on the printout was the same as stamped on the Rod on my vehicle. Turns out that their supplier was unable to get the unit so I went on the web. Autoparts Warehouse had it [reconditioned] so thats what I went with. The core charge was $34, but its going to cost $25 to mail it back so I'll just eventually rebuild it and list it on craigslist.
Again, thanks for the help on this.