Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

power steering pump

Old March 4th, 2011, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering pump

OK, need some help with this. I'm trying to replace my power steering pump. It's a 2001 Express V6 1500. I got a new pump already. I have a copy of the Haynes book, but still have some questions.

First problem is getting the upper fan shroud off. I removed all the screws, but couldn't get the thing out due to the dipsticks and radiator line. Do I need to drain the coolant too to remove the shroud? Once the shroud is removed, will I need to take the fan off as well? I have an Alltrade power steering pulley remover, but I'm not sure it will fit down there around that fan....

Any other advice? I think once I can get access to the bolts, I'll be OK, but this shroud is in the way.

Thanks,
Brian
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

remove the upper hose set it aside and remove the fan if you can it will make it a little better for you. question though why are you replacing it, and you asked about getting the puller down there im confused, if you pull the pump it will come out all together and you can change the pulley onto the newer unit when it is sitting on your bench.....honestly i have 5 of these vans and never have i changed the pump always the lines that leak? tell me if im missin somthin hope this helps....
Old March 18th, 2011, 1:28 AM
CF Junior Member

i think draining of the coolant is required. try doing that if u can afford to.