Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Quality of Chinese Replacement headlights and front grill , other crash parts etc

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2019, 10:44 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quality of Chinese Replacement headlights and front grill , other crash parts etc

Hi , I have a base model 2005 Savana panel van ,

a motorcycle hit the front fender , cracked the grill and bent the front bumper etc ,

Since I need to get it fixed I am thinking of upgrading it to the LS - LT wraparound headlights , plus the grill , front bumper etc ,

Just wondering what the quality is of the parts you buy on ebay ? Are they from the same factory or are some better than others ?

Headlights are $60-$70 a pair so I do not expect 100% GM quality , but I do want them to point the right direction and not blind oncoming traffic !

Same with the front grill and bumper , are they OK quality ?,

I would love to buy used original parts but there are none on the local craigslist , and the local pick a parts will be pretty picked unless I get there Day One !

Thanks for your advise
Old June 23rd, 2019, 3:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just from the perspective of trying to skin a sport bike, if you go too cheap. It prolly won't fit.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 7:53 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the things that I pride myself on with these trucks (even though I was laughed at by *certain* people for buying one new), is AVAILABLE parts. These things are so common, they are EVERYWHERE. Why bother with China, if they are even available. Wreckers, Craigslist, everywhere you will find parts. If I smashed my front end, I would not be thinking of NEW parts. First thing I would do is look on Craigslist for someone wrecking one. Buy a used nose. Who cares?
Old June 23rd, 2019, 10:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't speak for your model vehicle but I bought some on ebay several years ago for my intrepid. Significantly cheaper than new oem but they appeared to be oem quality. One of the adjusters broke during shipping so I pulled the adjuster from one of the originals and it fit perfectly. I gave the car to a friend's son a couple years ago but they were still clear and shiny when I was there a few days ago.
Old June 24th, 2019, 9:59 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to find original parts , but a couple problems pop up ,

I want the LT LS headlights and grill , most of the vans are base model rectangular headlights ,

I need to get them all at one place , most vans are wrecked in the front so the grill is bad

Here in Los Angeles area since there is no rust ( and no yearly inspections) many of the cars that would get scrapped in the rust belt are rebuilt.

And there is not much on Craigslist .

And probably the Insurance is going to want to put the Chinese replacement parts on when they fit it anyway !
I just figured I would upgrade the lights since one side is getting replaced anyway.