Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Quest to enhance suspension (yet again)

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2019, 9:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Any of the suspension enhancements like those will undo what the shocks have given you. They are meant to enhance the amount of weight you carry. They do offer sway bars, which could help with sideways movement, but in looking into these, it doesn't look like they make one for a 1500.
Old January 26th, 2019, 9:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

In looking a little deeper in that site, they seem to also have other sway and stabilizer solutions, but again, not for a 1500. Someone else might have something for your van.
Old January 26th, 2019, 9:33 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StanVan
Any of the suspension enhancements like those will undo what the shocks have given you. They are meant to enhance the amount of weight you carry. They do offer sway bars, which could help with sideways movement, but in looking into these, it doesn't look like they make one for a 1500.
ahhh interesting
Old January 26th, 2019, 2:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

Hellwig Rear Sway Bar GM 97-14 G1500, Savana, Express Van

Old January 26th, 2019, 2:09 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
thanks

this is one of the options.
Old January 26th, 2019, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

What KYB's?
I had an 8 passenger 1/2 ton van ( the other brand ) for a while and its ride was floaty. Monroe Gas Magnums helped a bunch. It also rode better with some weight in the back. Grab two bags of cement or play sand or that unused barbell set to use as ballast. Adding helper springs can help. Maybe even upgrade to a better , higher rate, rear spring. Its all bolt-on stuff.

Last edited by regis101; January 26th, 2019 at 4:50 PM.
Old January 26th, 2019, 9:20 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by regis101
What KYB's?
I had an 8 passenger 1/2 ton van ( the other brand ) for a while and its ride was floaty. Monroe Gas Magnums helped a bunch. It also rode better with some weight in the back. Grab two bags of cement or play sand or that unused barbell set to use as ballast. Adding helper springs can help. Maybe even upgrade to a better , higher rate, rear spring. Its all bolt-on stuff.
Gas a just.

Yeap, I can try to put some load at the back, as the wife and the baby are almos weigthless and they seat at the middle, not all the way back.
Old January 26th, 2019, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

I was able to determine via part numbers and specs on that van the springs were the softest they used. At least three other springs were available .
Maybe chevy offers stiffer springs as well.
Old January 30th, 2019, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Van shocks

Originally Posted by GeneveConversionVan
Gents,
As some of you may be aware, I was looking to replace all four shocks in my 01 Conversion Van. I did. No name, no brand shocks are out and KYB`s are in. Feel is much better now, as imperfections in the read are not trasmitted to the passengers, which is good. Feels like a SUV, and they are wife approved.

When the family (4 people) went for a 2 hour ride to the lake, the wife said "they are perfect, BUT...."

And my smile went out when I heard the "BUT".

She said that now we need to fix to the "boat feeling" in the back seats. I can understand it as we come from small or medium size sporty cars, now being in a Van is a completly different experience. So Im looking to reduce the "boat feeling" as described by the wife. I called eTrailed and they said I should get the Roadmaster Active Suspension.

What are your thoughts?
Replacing your shocks are great but..... Most of the time the leaf springs for these cant do there job due to the large platform spring. You can replace that spring with a negative arc spring that will allow your upper springs to move which may be giving you that harsh boating felling like you are hitting a wake . At the same time the boating felling me be due to shocks that can't control the weight of the van so you tend to get more sway. The KYB shocks may be better then stock but still not correct for the van weight.
I have done both of these to my van and like the improved ride however it is a newer van but still compatible components.
Old January 30th, 2019, 9:30 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by 983_vanbuilder
Replacing your shocks are great but..... Most of the time the leaf springs for these cant do there job due to the large platform spring. You can replace that spring with a negative arc spring that will allow your upper springs to move which may be giving you that harsh boating felling like you are hitting a wake . At the same time the boating felling me be due to shocks that can't control the weight of the van so you tend to get more sway. The KYB shocks may be better then stock but still not correct for the van weight.
I have done both of these to my van and like the improved ride however it is a newer van but still compatible components.
Ahhh thanks
Thats great feeback.
So you have to modify the leaf springs to minimize this "boat" feeling? Any pictures?

Quick Reply: Quest to enhance suspension (yet again)