Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Question about C0899 Error Code and Possible Used Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2019, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about C0899 Error Code and Possible Used Vehicle

I am looking at a 2014 Express LT 3500 RWD extended passenger van with the 6.0L V8, https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1GAZG1FG5E1107827

I went and looked at and drove it for about 30 minutes. I brought my ODB2 reader and checked the error codes after my test drive. The following is the only code it reported. There were no warning lights or ABS lights lit up on the dash.

1 Anti-Lock Brake System Trouble Codes:
• C0899: HISTORY - Device #1 voltage low

I did some looking around online and did not find a definitive answer as to what this could be.

My best guess is that is the result of a battery voltage drop either from a faulty charging system, or from a battery swap. The battery looked like it was quite new, and the last time all of the codes had been cleared was about 1200~ miles ago.

When you swap the battery does it reset the codes?

Could this trouble code be the result of a bad battery that had been replaced and this just be a red herring? I read one forum that indicated that this code took 100 drive cycles to reset after being fixed.

Any thoughts?

-- Ryan
Old March 18th, 2019, 4:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

low voltage is pretty common for cars at used car lots......they sit for days maybe weeks at a time and and only get started for a couple minutes at a time unless someone test drives it......most likely it was fluke or a low battery from sitting.....if you really like the van i would say go for it....worst case the anti lock will throw a code and default to regular brakes....i know in North Carolina cars will still pass inspection with an abs light on.......low voltage could also mean NO voltage which could mean a broken or chafed wire....
Old February 16th, 2022, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 647
I am looking at a 2014 Express LT 3500 RWD extended passenger van with the 6.0L V8, https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1GAZG1FG5E1107827

I went and looked at and drove it for about 30 minutes. I brought my ODB2 reader and checked the error codes after my test drive. The following is the only code it reported. There were no warning lights or ABS lights lit up on the dash.

1 Anti-Lock Brake System Trouble Codes:
• C0899: HISTORY - Device #1 voltage low

I did some looking around online and did not find a definitive answer as to what this could be.

My best guess is that is the result of a battery voltage drop either from a faulty charging system, or from a battery swap. The battery looked like it was quite new, and the last time all of the codes had been cleared was about 1200~ miles ago.

When you swap the battery does it reset the codes?

Could this trouble code be the result of a bad battery that had been replaced and this just be a red herring? I read one forum that indicated that this code took 100 drive cycles to reset after being fixed.

Any thoughts?

-- Ryan
hello. i have the same issue. i connected the odbc tool and it read the same thing. i guess ishould check the battery first?
if not the battery than what would it be exactly. ?