Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Radiator hose connection

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2018, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator hose connection

1989 Chevy g20 van
I have found a leak in the upper radiator hose of my van. The hose connects to this ball looking metal piece and wanted to know what that is called? Bc that is where the leak is coming from.
Old March 15th, 2018, 6:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

It would help if you showed us a photo, but it's most likely the thermostat housing. Just pick up a new thermostat which should come with a gasket. Cheap, easy fix.
Old March 15th, 2018, 9:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like mentioned above. Thermostat housing. Once you take it off make sure you wire brush where the hose goes, as buildup there can cause it to leak. Gasket surfaces also of course.
Old March 15th, 2018, 11:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response on the t-housing I was searching forever to find what that was ha. Good idea @Canucklehead I had took off the hose to see what was up and I'm pretty sure the prev owner put water (smh) and there was a lot of rust build up and the upper part of the housing was chipping. I was thinking of replacing the housing all together but I had talked to a friend and said to replace the thermostat gasket and use some RTV to have a cheaper fix. Just don't know if I should just replace everything altogether and get a therm stat kit that comes with the valve gasket and housing. What would be ur advice as I am open to different solutions and ideas.

Thanks in in advance as well
Old March 16th, 2018, 2:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Both parts are less than 10 bucks. It's hardly worth thinking about just go for it.