Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Radiator Hoses photos for Chevy Van G20

Old December 18th, 2013, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Hoses photos for Chevy Van G20

I replaced what I think were the original radiator hoses (upper and lower today). The factory clamps were a pain to remove and it took a utility knife to remove the hose after the clamp was moved out of the way. I also replaced the thermostat since I was in the area with the upper radiator hose.

The lower radiator hose required me to remove the coolant reservoir tank and transmission cooler line that sits just above the lower radiator hose attached at the bottom of the radiator. This made it much easier to move the factory hose clamps with my "channel lock" pliers.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old July 11th, 2014, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Radiator hose

Great pictures. Where did you purchase the hose?
Old March 15th, 2018, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

On ur third pic would u happen to know what is that black ball the hose connects to? Asking bc my van has a leak there
Old March 15th, 2018, 6:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

Looks like the thermostat housing. Pic #1 and 2 are close-ups of it.
Old March 16th, 2018, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

Ok cool thanks
was wondering where u found the housing at? Bc whenever I look up a new housing at autozone or oreillys the housing looks different than the one u have and the one I have as well. I only ask bc the housing is in need of replace due to build up from the leak as well as the top part of the housing valve is rusted due to prev owner most likely using water and starting to chip I can send pic of what both auto stores say is compatible with the van bt like stated before they look pretty different.
Old March 16th, 2018, 9:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The van housing has a longer neck. You may not be ale to use an aftermarket one, unless it is the same shape. Auto wrecker.....used one....
Old March 18th, 2018, 12:17 AM
CF Beginner

The factory clamps were designed to be quick and easy to install at the factory. They are also quick and easy to remove and install with the proper tool. The tool is not outrageously expensive, but if you only need it once it's probably not worth the money.

The factory clamps also have the advantage over screw clamps because they expand and contract with the hose & whatever fitting the hose goes onto and they never need to be tightened. In the 3+ decades I've been working on GM vehicles I've never seen a coolant leak that I could blame on the factory clamp unless it was very corroded.

Whenever I can, I reuse the factory clamps.

But then, I have the tool (OTC 4525).

Last edited by ThroatwarblerMangrove; March 18th, 2018 at 12:20 AM. Reason: additional info