Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   Relocated spare to rear door (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/relocated-spare-rear-door-75717/)

cygvan December 8th, 2015 10:42 AM

Relocated spare to rear door

Need to relocate spare to rear door like conversion vans. All parts i search for seem to be for previous style vans.

what the hell do the conversion vans use?

is this going to be another custom fab thing?

and yes...aluminess is out ($$$$$$)

wgander December 10th, 2015 12:17 AM

Spare?

Do you need a spare tire? I can't remember the last time I used one.

cygvan December 10th, 2015 8:19 AM

Originally Posted by wgander (Post 312671)

that guy murphy and i know each other well....so yeah lol. ive considered deleting it but really want to retain it.

without a long explanation, i need to utilize the space under the van where it currently resides and relocating it to the door would be awesome.

i can imagine in my mind a custom built carrier that fastens to the door without using the bumper or hinges but reinventing the wheel (no pun intended) can be time consuming. i did see a product by Curt that uses the hitch receiver to mount a spare. not sure how sturdy it is though. i see the conversion vans (even 2003 and up) with the spare on the door but im having no luck finding out how they do it or what product they use.

tech2 December 11th, 2015 9:58 PM

what year van and what type of rear doors does it have?

dberladyn December 12th, 2015 2:35 PM

Originally Posted by cygvan (Post 312682)
that guy murphy and i know each other well....so yeah lol. ive considered deleting it but really want to retain it.

without a long explanation, i need to utilize the space under the van where it currently resides and relocating it to the door would be awesome.

i can imagine in my mind a custom built carrier that fastens to the door without using the bumper or hinges but reinventing the wheel (no pun intended) can be time consuming. i did see a product by Curt that uses the hitch receiver to mount a spare. not sure how sturdy it is though. i see the conversion vans (even 2003 and up) with the spare on the door but im having no luck finding out how they do it or what product they use.

If you don't mind damaging the body (I would) I am sure you can modify an existing carrier or have one fabricated, bolting it through the skin. You would have to ensure you place large surface area plates on both sides of the skin for strength and resilence to denting. If I am wrong, I shall not be held liable for damages. :)

Maybe others could comment. Perhaps the simplest is a front mounted hitch with a tire carrier on that. I can't imagine what you would use the space underneath for if not a fuel tank of some sort (gas, propane, natural gas, etc.)

cygvan December 13th, 2015 8:42 AM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 312820)
what year van and what type of rear doors does it have?

2003. has std doors with fixed glass

cygvan December 13th, 2015 8:46 AM

Originally Posted by dberladyn (Post 312868)
If you don't mind damaging the body (I would) I am sure you can modify an existing carrier or have one fabricated, bolting it through the skin. You would have to ensure you place large surface area plates on both sides of the skin for strength and resilence to denting. If I am wrong, I shall not be held liable for damages. :)

Maybe others could comment. Perhaps the simplest is a front mounted hitch with a tire carrier on that. I can't imagine what you would use the space underneath for if not a fuel tank of some sort (gas, propane, natural gas, etc.)

i would like to use the space underneath for a wastewater tank. placement of which is important due to sink location inside van.

i believe i will have to bolt it to the door skin. thick plates inside and out are a definite must. glad to see someone else thought it necessary too. i think ill wind up with a custom mount. i wish i had the room and tools to weld up some stock to give it a go.

front hitch tire mount is interesting..

GOFOAD December 25th, 2015 3:25 PM

I saw a Conversion van once in a parking lot and didn't take a picture of the rear trailer hitch that had an additional offset hitch behind the Driver's side rear door with a hinged hitch that had a spare tire bracket on it. When you needed to open the rear driver\s door the pin in the hitch hinge was pulled and the spare tire carrier dropped down so as to open the door. It looked professional and not homemade. Wish i had taken a pic and/or gotten a brand name. It was the cat's ass. I Have decided to add 2 spare holders to my trailer that will travel on long trips with me.

canucklehead December 28th, 2015 4:17 PM

Here is one called the Trojan Tire Carrier.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/bumpers-lights/

http://www.sportsmobile.com/sections...bumper01_3.jpg

JIMMYDRIVER1 January 3rd, 2016 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by wgander (Post 312671)

if he has a flat will he need one? I just had an idiot mechanic dismantle my parking brake cable saying he hasn't used his in years. Mine was sticking so instead of fixing the problem he thought it was ok for me to drive without an emergency brake. Common sense seems to be lacking on this world today.