Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Remove ducting 2014

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2017, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove ducting 2014

Howdy, just picked up a 2014 3500 pass van with a 6.0. Will be using for both my carpentry business and family van. The big picture plan is to remove the rear 2 seats and put up a "firewall" partition to divide the space. Keep two benches up front, shelve out the back for my set-up. I also currently am using my 08 1500 4.3 It's been way overworked, overloaded etc and has been a champ. I'd like to remove the ceiling and duct work in the 14 in the back tool section to maximize headroom etc, and notice that the rear corner frame posts of the van (either side of the rear doors) seems to be built out a bit in comparison to my 08 cargo as if it was a chase that hides more ducting etc.

Any recommendations on a repair manual?
Was hoping that the heating and cooling runs just ran to the back, and that I may be able to cut them short where I wish, cap them off, and not cause major problems to the systems balance / operation.

Thanks all-
Josh
Old January 3rd, 2017, 11:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The rear HVAC is a separate unit and it is mounted behind the left rear wheel. The AC and coolant lines run to it on the outside bottom of the body, and the interior ducting goes from there along the ceiling and along the whole left side. There's not much you can do without giving up the whole rear HVAC, which is a really nice feature in certain weather conditions.
Old January 4th, 2017, 6:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Copy that, usually best to leave these things alone. I've been searching for a diagram of the HVAC components hoping to see where the system actually divides (front vs. rear). So it sounds like all A/C behind the driver and passenger seats comes from this rear station, and if I remove it I will only have A/C available from my dashboard eh? I've found some great posts on repair and diagnosis of these units. I was hoping maybe others out there have taken these extended passenger vans and concerted the area for the rear two bench seats into cargo space while retaining the middle two bench seats for traditional interior passenger space. I can leave the units as they are...just need to be thoughtful when I build my shelves etc. so that I can get beck in there to do repairs to the HVAC if need be. Thanks again-

J