Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

removing hazard knob from turn signal switch

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2010, 2:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing hazard **** from turn signal switch

so i have a 1977 g10 van and i was having issues with my left brake light not working when the right turn signal was on, the right brake light was working fine when the left turn signal was on. i traced it to the turn signal switch. it had to be held in a certain spot for the brake light to stay on. so today, i pulled the steering wheel and saw how filthy the contacts were on the switch assembly. fortunately i own a business repairing amplifiers so i am constantly cleaning switch contacts. i sprayed the contacts of the switch and removed tons of debris off of the contacts. this seemed to solve the problem. i tested and tested and decided to throw the steering wheel back on! well, much to my dismay the problem seemed to reappear after the steering wheel was remounted.

i did purchase a new switch assembly yesterday and because i wanted to save myself some money i thought i could return it, well turns out i am just going to replace the damn thing...here is my question. i noticed when i was cleaning the switch i was trying to remove it to get a better angle at the contacts but i couldnt get it out of the column because the hazard switch was holding it in. how do you remove the hazard switch ****? is there a set screw somewhere? i cant seem to find it! on the new assembly i purchased there seems to be a screw hole where the **** goes but mine is just a solid red piece! i see no screw anywhere? thanks!